Recent Entries

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Reading
> Network
> Tags
> Memories
> Profile
> my jf account
> previous 20 entries

Links
interrobang studios
melannen@journalfen
melannen@deviantart
melannen@librarything
network
April 17th, 2019 09:43 pm

I just wrote what was supposed to be a couple of paragraphs of reaction to [personal profile] siderea's post about Marie Kondo and books, which turned into multiple pages of feelsdump about tidying and really the only parts that need to see the light of day are

Derry Girls is fine, I guess, but if you've watched one of the Sister Michael compilation vids you're probably good stopping there
and
(A story about a large donations-sorting center that has some kind of magical heatsink/storage battery for all the bad vibes from the spirits of trashed once-beloved objects is something I would like to read, please. Anyone who thinks Westerners don’t understand animism of made objects has never helped sort junk donations on a large scale and seen what people couldn’t bear to throw away. We’re just deeply uncomfortable with it because most of us don’t have a good framework to understand it in. Can we call the story "The Joy Equations"? Can we power an FTL drive with the accumulated spiritual sadness of the debris of the Age of Excess?)
Anyway, what it was meant to be an intro to: I have finally finished all of the small tasks I could pretend were "preparation" and have to face the next piece of my ongoing tidying project: fit ~400 unshelved nonfiction books onto ~6 available feet of linear shelf space.

Okay yes that seems comically impossible on the face of it, but I think I can squeeze a fair amount of more space by accepting that all the rest of the nonfiction will just have to be shelve for maximum space use instead of attractiveness of shelves, and also weed about 10%-15% of the collection as I go.

It's the weeding that's going to be hard. Most of these books have already survived multiple weeds, and I don't buy any new ones unless:

  1. they make me happy.
  2. I could not easily get another copy if I needed one on short notice* (i.e., they aren't the sort of thing that's on every library shelf and in every used bookstore in fifteen copies, they aren't constantly in print, and if they're public domain they either don't have a digital copy available free yet or there's a reason I want a physical copy instead.)
  3. they fit into a certain short list of topics of special interest that I am likely to find useful at some point.

*being able to get them on Amazon doesn't count because Amazon is evil and also I don't let myself bookshop on Amazon because I have enough of a problem already. Being able to get them in non-free-to-share ebook doesn't count because just because they're accessible in ebook now doesn't mean they will be later, and just because I have them saved as files now doesn't mean I'll be able to access the files later: learned that one hard and early.

This list is fairly static over time and fairly well refined at this point, and most of the books I buy these days fit into more than one category on it (at 3+ it's pretty much a lock to buy.) But I realized it also only existed in my head and it might be a useful exercise to write it out.

Um, look. When I said it was a *short* list, I honestly thought that was true? )

...at least I have a nice starter list of tags to use in the catalog as I re-shelve?


(41 comments | Reply)


April 13th, 2019 07:57 pm - In honor of the 3 smartphones that were lost at our workplace today:
PLEASE set up an "In Case Of Emergency" contact on your phone.

The chance that you will keel over with some kind of dramatic medical condition and the paramedics will need to quickly contact a next of kin may be fairly low*.

But the chances that you will accidentally leave it in a public place and the people who find it (or who run the lost & found it was turned in to) would like to be able to call someone who can tell you where it is are much higher.

If you don't keep it locked, set up a phone contact for "ICE" or "If lost" or "in case of emergency" who is someone you trust who will a) be able to contact you somehow even if you've lost your phone and b) who will be able contact your other loved ones if for some reason you can't.

If you do keep it locked, some phones let you set up a list of emergency contacts that can be called even if the phone is locked. If not, at least put some identifying information on the lock screen so we can look up your library account and get contact info there!

(In related advice. Don't set up your email so you can only access it if you have your phone! When you've lost access to your only phone is when you will need your email as your backup contact method the most! We want to help but we can't get you into your email if you've linked it to your phone and your phone was stolen! and it doesn't help that you've set up your boyfriend's phone as the backup if you can't reach your boyfriend without access to your phone or email!)

---your friendly local librarian

*those of you this doesn't apply to know who you are

(9 comments | Reply)


April 2nd, 2019 03:54 pm
AO3 got the Hugo Nomination! *\o/* *\o/* *\o/*

Thank you to everybody who listened to my lobbying! :D

Honestly it's a really good ballot in general this year (longtime DW blogger [personal profile] james_davis_nicoll is also up for a fan nomination, and there's lots of other great stuff) and I would be happy if nearly anyone won!

Also I kinda want to start crowdfunding to, like, send all of AD&T to Dublin! It's probably a terrible idea though.

(17 comments | Reply)


March 28th, 2019 11:34 pm - poll
Open to: Registered Users, detailed results viewable to: All, participants: 71


Tomorrow, on her day off, melannen should

View Answers

get a haircut
12 (16.9%)

go to the grocery store
15 (21.1%)

do her taxes
34 (47.9%)

read one of her library books
28 (39.4%)

start weeding the nonfiction books (finally)
5 (7.0%)

get some sunlight
49 (69.0%)

finish the last thing to finish the big 'clean your entire bedroom floor to ceiling' project at last
24 (33.8%)

do the sewing and mending
2 (2.8%)

do the week's laundry
18 (25.4%)

set up the new backup hard drive she bought and actually back up her old busted hard drives
23 (32.4%)

write something
10 (14.1%)

finally watch the rest of Guardian
11 (15.5%)

worry about things
3 (4.2%)

stare vaguely off into the distance
18 (25.4%)



In other news, I am up to right before the Avengers movie came out in my read-your-AO3-history project, and here is what I have learned recently.

1. There are a *lot* of deleted works. A lot. Probably one in ten, even on AO3, with its orphan and anon and rename options and its making sure nothing goes away unintentionally. It makes me very sad. Let your art live, writers! Bad art is better than no art, and I promise it wasn't as bad as you think!
2. On the other hand I was apparently reading a lot of Homestuck at the time, so maybe there's a reason so much was deleted.
3. Wow, Homestuck fandom has a LOT of really long yet incomplete wips.
4. Rediscovering Avengers fandom as it existed just-pre-Avengers-movie is a trip.
5. I have apparently been reading Naruto fic but ONLY this one specific pairing for a lot longer than I realized.

(24 comments | Reply)


March 27th, 2019 10:31 pm - 15 Types of Relationships People Of Different Genders Can Have With Each Other

As I have gleaned from my extensive study of "podcasts in which people of different genders have unscripted friendly chats about specialized subjects."

  1. Heterosexual monogamous married couple.
  2. Heterosexual monogamous married couple and their friend they took in after her divorce who is slowly learning that she can move out any time she likes but she can't ever leave.
  3. Committed boyfriend and girlfriend living in domestic polyamorous bliss with boyfriend's wife.
  4. Ex-spouses (and former childhood sweethearts), now transcontinental partners and best friends.
  5. Not-directly-romantically-involved members of what is supposedly a science club but is increasingly sounding like one large polycule.
  6. Two people in a love triangle with a cat (and their extremely tolerant friend.)
  7. Two midlife career women and their young mustachioed minion.
  8. Friendly coworkers.
  9. Fellow graduate students.
  10. Two people and the silent, never-mentioned absence of the third person who was removed for sexually harassing one of the first two.
  11. Three strangers who started talking about UFOs in a bar one night and didn't manage to stop until one of them moved to a different country years later.
  12. Three academics in the same field but vastly different levels of academic authority/privilege collaborating on a hobby project in which the least academically privileged is the project lead.
  13. Two non-romantically-involved people who frequently go undercover in situations in which they are presumed to be a couple.
  14. Yeah she may be half his height, but she could take him in a fight.
  15. One year in three or four, when it's going to be a good mast year for the fruit of the Rimu tree, the male finds a high place over the fjord, makes a bowl, and begins booming and chinging. After the summer solstice, the female will follow the sound to find him and mate, perhaps several nights in a row, before she builds a nest in the hollow of a tree. The rest of the time, they actively avoid each other.

(....a no prize to anyone who can name the podcasts.)


(31 comments | Reply)


March 24th, 2019 09:18 pm
1. Great, now I have the Guardian Exchange and the Guardian Challenge running at the same time on my reading list. This is the problem with globalization!

2. Newly discovered AO3 search tip: if you want some new good fic in your old fandoms but everything on Search By Kudos is the same old stuff, go a couple years back in your AO3 history and look for stuff you remember nothing about. It's good enough that you read it once! But you remember nothing, so it's like it's new! And because (apparently) the AO3 history actually only shows the most recent view of any work, the ones you keep re- until they're worn out won't show up in the old history.

3. I listed to a TAL segment on Stede Bonnet and Edward Teach (right after I was wading through a POTC-heavy part of my AO3 history) and now I want M/M epic based on that story. The effete rich boy playing at pirates but in way over his head who is taken in, mentored, and nursed back to health by the big burly pirate! Who then BETRAYS him, and he finally finds his inner pirate captain in seeking REVENGE for the betrayal! Somebody provide me this as a novel-length romance with a happy ending please.

4. Advice for slashers, that I have been meaning to post for years, but is apparently still needed based on stuff I'm reading: I understand that writing about safe sex is important for many people, for ethical or realism reasons. I support it, too! Safe sex is sexy. And there's lots of reasons characters might want to use condoms. But. Look. If your characters were literally bleeding in each other's arms last week - if A was using a hand they had sliced open on a sword to put pressure on B's massive gut wound - they are already as fluid-bonded as they're going to get. They really really don't need to wait to go get STD tested before they have unprotected sex. (Yes, there are a few STDs that aren't transmitted by blood contact. But most of those are not well prevented by condoms, and are transmissible by most of the oh-no-we-don't-have-condoms techniques. And honestly, it's more that if they were bleeding out onto each other last week, the testing should already have happened: my problem here isn't so much that they're being too careful about sex as that the medical aftercare they got for the bleeding out must have been sub-par, if they're still worried about fluid contact.)

5. I saw Captain Marvel! It's really good! It's much more a space movie than a superhero movie! I don't really have anything else to say except I liked all the things it did! And you should definitely stay for the last post-credits scene because it answered the only remaining question I had about the plot.

(this is my current AO3 filter.)

(11 comments | Reply)


March 21st, 2019 04:33 pm
Things I am not posting about this week:

1. Brexit
2. Guardian fandom, slash as an abstract concept, and the difference between queercoding, queerbaiting, representation and tokenism, and how that has played out across media and cultures in the last twenty-five years
3. The difficulty inherent in switching constantly between Guardian liveblogs and Guardian episode recaps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4. How it looks like I'm going to end up having to dig out my old Mike Gravel for President merch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5. The difference between historical fashion and historical clothing and why it gets my goat when people erase the difference
6. My current project, inspired by the search tips post, of going through my entire 600 pages of logged-in AO3 history to bookmark and tag stuff I want to hang on to

I am not writing posts about them, but feel free to ask me anyway, the rants are on tap.

I did, however, post to [community profile] fictional_fans about what types of fanfic are good for readers who don't know the canon, so you should go there to talk about that.

(36 comments | Reply)


March 17th, 2019 09:57 pm - Achievement unlocked!
I have Knitted A Sock! It's the "basic sock" pattern out of Folk Socks. It only took five and a half years!

I am actually feeling much prouder of the accomplishment than I expected. And, unexpectedly, it even fits! My left foot is warm. Unfortunately I made it out of some strange yarn I bought at a thrift store that's no longer in business, and there's not quite enough in the same color to do a second sock (there's some almost-the-same-color of the same yarn, though.)

And I still haven't figured out the SSK decrease, but, eh, it feels fine, it just doesn't quite look right. :P

And now I don't have any unfinished knitting or crochet projects kicking around and I'm at loose ends.

Open to: Registered Users, detailed results viewable to: All, participants: 72


What should I do?

View Answers

Um, knit the other sock out of the pair (even if you will have to use a slightly different yarn color)
53 (73.6%)

Start one of the 19th century patterns out of the book, to wear for cosplay, which was the original plan once you had leveled up Knitter of Socks five years ago.
14 (19.4%)

Start one of the non-sock knitting projects you've been saying you will once sock was done, like that Icelandic sweater you bought all that lopi for.
14 (19.4%)

Good now finish up all your unfinished sewing/embroidery/quilting/naalbinding/spinning/weaving/mending/electronics repair/painting projects before you start something new.
12 (16.7%)

Ticky.
23 (31.9%)


(39 comments | Reply)


March 14th, 2019 11:04 pm - Advanced AO3 Search Tips

AO3 has a really amazing tagging system. It's so good that it blows all previous methods of finding fanworks out of the water.

But that means that when it fails - when there's something it doesn't work for - it can be really really frustrating and you end up wanting to burn the entire thing to the ground.

But. There are other methods! And some of them still work even when tag search doesn't.

So here are my top 10 tips for ways to find what you need when AO3's tagging system has failed you. With real-life examples!

For when you want to read fic that is about a thing, but most of the fic tagged with the thing isn’t actually about the thing:

1) Hidden Search Operators )

2) Bookmarkers' Tags )

3) Site Search / Best Match search )

When you just want to read any new good story in a large tag but you have already read everything that sort-by-kudos brings up to the top:

4) Filter by date )

5) Filter by number of kudos/bookmarks/comments/hits )

6) Favorite Tags )

7) Tag pages )

When you just need to find a VERY SPECIFIC THING okay

8) Filter on category/warning tags )

9) URL hacking )

10) Step outside the Archive )

Anyway, there's mine. What are yours?


(63 comments | Reply)


March 12th, 2019 10:20 pm - Fandom memes
There seem to be several AO3/Fandom/Fanfic memes going around DW right now! My favorite is [personal profile] trobadora's Fandoms Poll. Because, poll.

So I am borrowing it. It's been too long since we've had a good poll!

Because whether you're new to my flist, or you've been around for a while and have fallen into new fandoms along the way, I'm curious what other fandoms we share. So here, have a long - very long - list of tickyboxes!

(You don't have to be currently active in a fandom to check it - so long as you retain some degree of interest, or feel a sigh of nostalgia, that's enough.)

And please treat the poll results as a friending meme - find other people who tickied the same tickies! Make friends!
Fandoms Poll )
(These were pulled from my AO3 tracked tags, my AO3 written-in tags, my DW tags, and my WIPs folder.)

[personal profile] china_shop also linked to a list of pre-DW fandom memes, and I am stealing The Top Five Reasons I Haven't Read Your Story because it seems very useful.

The Top Five Reasons I Haven't Read Your Story
1. Everything you've posted about it in your journal has been about your writing process and your feelings, but you haven't posted anything about why anyone other than you might want to read it.
2. You haven't posted about it in your journal at all, so I didn't know it existed.
3. You've successfully convinced me that your story will be amazing and brilliant (and/or long), and I don't have the energy to read anything but <10,000 word trashy braincandy right now.
4. It's in a fandom or pairing that I'm not just not in, I'm actively avoiding. It's not you, it's me!
5. Sorry, I'm currently spending all my spare time reading everything ever posted to AO3 in this pairing I have never before mentioned I was interested in and that nobody I know writes for. I'll get back to you when that's done.

(26 comments | Reply)


March 11th, 2019 06:28 pm - every cat wins best cat
Happy March the Eleventh, everyone! The start of the northern-hemisphere-spring fannish holiday season!

Meanwhile, y'all are enablers, so I now have the week of the June full moon off (for maximum light - camping in Iceland has spoiled me when it comes to summer light.) Have also bought an electric coffee/spice grinder at the thrift store, since that seems to be the recommended way to make rockahominy.

It is amazing how much it helps to have a Thing That Is Scheduled to look forward to, though.

Also I went to a cat show again yesterday and got a chance to run a very good cat through the practice agility course. That helped too!

(14 comments | Reply)


March 6th, 2019 09:39 pm
Everything is awful, I really want to not have to have a job (medicaid for all, where are you, if I didn't have to pay for health insurance I could go part-time and actually breathe), and somebody needs to talk me out of using up a bunch of my leave and going on a solo backpacking trip this spring.

(Current nebulous plan: Get someone to drop me around the 100-mile marker on the C&O Canal Towpath Trail; hike downhill. 40 miles in there's a train station where I can take the train home; 60 miles in there's another train station where I can take the train home; 100 miles in is the last train home.

Which means I don't have to commit to walking a hundred miles or call home in shame, I can just make a decision at each train station. And the terrain's good, so it's hard for me to imagine not being able to do at least forty miles in a week, even if all the worst happens.

It's not a wilderness trail, so I wouldn't be out of civilization for any very long stretches, which means I could go very light on things like food, and do a few hotel/restaurant stops if I wanted. And there's supposed to be potable water every five miles or so, so I shouldn't need to worry too much about carrying/filtering water.

The only tricky bit is that there's nowhere to sleep in the last 20 miles, and the very last stretch is through the city, so when I got to that last train station I'd have to be very sure I could do 20 miles in a day, and still not miss the last train. But I could stop before then if I didn't think that was doable.

I'd need to make sure my camping hammock was functional enough, and decide if I want to try to stick with a vintage Sterno stove or finally get the backpacking stove I've been lusting over, and figure out my cell phone charging strategy, but other than that I could probably just mark up some maps, pack a bag, and then go.

I've wanted to do this specific trip since high school, so, why not now?

And then once I've done a 100-mile solo trip it'll be a lot easier to convince myself I can do more ambitious ones.)

(Also convince me that if I do it, I shouldn't try to do it in period-appropriate cosplay.)

(36 comments | Reply)


March 3rd, 2019 04:54 pm - December meme: A story you'd never want to write, but would love to read
Okay, "fail at shitposting february" is over! Where was I in December meme?

[personal profile] noxelementalist requested "A story you'd never want to write, but would love to read!"

This one is actually tough, because I exist at all times balanced on the knife-edge between "Wanting to write literally every story" and "Never wanting to write anything at all ever".

(This balance may be familiar to some of y'all.)

There are some situations where the "don't want to write/want to read" balance leans more toward the one side than usual, though. They tend to fall into the categories of: I know it's not something I currently have the skill to write well; I know it would be a lot of effort and I am that lazy; I am too chickenshit to write it.

Some exposition and examples. )

Also there are some stories where it's the opposite, where I want to write them but not read them, at least if you interpret that as "don't want to read them as written by anyone else, because anyone else who wrote them would probably do them WRONG". Those I usually do actually write, though, because I am filled with the righteous fury of "even if I do screw them up, at least I won't screw them up as bad as THOSE OTHER PEOPLE WHO HYPOTHETICALLY MIGHT WRITE THEM INSTEAD would screw them up." (A significant % of all my kinkmeme fills in my kinkmeme days were like this.)

What kinds of stories do you want to read but not write, or write but not read?

(35 comments | Reply)


March 1st, 2019 05:49 pm - My Hugo eligible works roundup for this year (+ Fanfic Friday)

The post I queued a year ago just posted itself on my tumblr, so: if you're nominating for the Hugo Awards this year, here's your reminder that The Archive Of Our Own was only one nomination short of making the ballot last year, and could be nominated again this year! I helped make it what it is in a small way - you probably did, too - but there's no Hugo rules against nominating something you are a part of! (Is it logrolling if you say "I'll nominate AO3, which you contributed to, if you nominate AO3, which I contributed to"?) Nominations close March 16 if you're still thinking about it.

Also my AO3 history for this week is substantially less embarrassing than the previous, so, as evidence for why AO3 deserves all the accolades, here is a list of everything I read on AO3 since last Friday. This is not a recs list, although they are all good fics if they are the sort of fics you like! But this is a complete list of things I read and kudos'd, with random notes about why I read them and sometimes what I am still thinking about regarding them.

Marvel, Merlin, Guardian, assorted others )

So that only averages to about five a day! :D :D :D

In the "on my AO3 history but not on this list" are a couple I was going to re-read but turned out to be much longer than I remembered, several BfU fics stymied by the fact that apparently I am just not feeling BfU right now, a couple Venom fics where the characterization was not good enough to make up for the SPaG, a couple others that were very much not what I thought they were when I clicked the links, and a long RoL crossover I have opened but not read yet.

I also read T. Kingfisher/[profile] ursulav's Swordheart and The Clocktaur War, which I got free as KUEC Patreon rewards (her ebooks are the only Patreon rewards I have ever bothered to redeem) and was saving for a week when I really needed them. I really needed them this week! They are very good, although not as much ninja accounting OR sword sex as I was promised, and very kind, like all of her works are. (I read the notes in Clocktaur War about her agent's despair about how dark it was, and remember the KUEC conversations about it, and I'm with Ursula on that one. IDK, maybe fandom has spoiled me, 'slaughtered a bunch of nuns while possessed pre-book, feels really bad about it' doesn't even vaguely ping me as 'darkfic' anymore.) But it is weird to be reading romances written by someone whose RL sex life I know ten years' worth of KUEC details about.....

(Lists left as they were when I followed the markdown directions, because I have better things to do, i.e., read RoL crossover, than attempt to figure out what it's having fits about this time.

I am continuing to try markdown and continuing to remember that a) it's only worth it when I'm doing something long with a lot of formatting, and b) it's not worth it when I'm doing something long with a lot of formatting....)


(5 comments | Reply)


February 23rd, 2019 05:58 pm - I was born under the auspices of the Capybara and have always striven to live in its virtues
Help me fill out and fix these lists! I was doing so well and then I got stuck on the last set.

Muskrat
Dugong
Sea Lion
Sea Hare
Seadragon
Sea Snake
Hippopotamus
???
Brine Shrimp
Tuna
Mudpuppy
Capybara

Pocket Gopher
Tapir
Sandcat
Hyrax
Earthworm
Rock Python
??
Bighorn
Ardipithecus??
Cock-of-the-rock
Aardwolf
Aardvark

Pigeon
Cowbird
Tiger Beetle??
??
Dragonfly
Flying snake
Horsefly
Nightjar??
Hornbill??
Junglefowl??
Fruitbat
Bumblebee Bat??

??
??
??
??
Salamander
Electric eel??
??
Orangutang??
Sunbird??
Foxfire??

(24 comments | Reply)


February 20th, 2019 08:14 pm

Todo list update:

  • started reading Words Are My Matter since it was tied most of the day and it's due back soonest; about 1/3 of the way through
  • have not written (yet)
  • not cleaning bathroom due to emergency storm water supply being in the way
  • have finished animals! opened box of "old doll clothes" expecting to find ones I played with back in the day; instead found ones my grandmother played with.
  • have not done any sewing, except for repairs to animals. Did find cut-but-not-sewed antique doll clothes in box, though, so number of sewing WIPs has increased instead. sigh
  • just put laundry in! mostly animals and doll clothes, but it counts.
  • have not worked on knitting projects, that's up next
  • officially not dealing with desk today. :P
  • officially not working on books today. :P
  • listened to lots podcasts!
  • writing dreamwidth post as we speak. substance questionable :P

Here is a photo of all of my Daekor Potbelly bears and raccoons - Dropbear and his friends and relations. There are, apparently, 17 of them, which means I've acquired a new on on average every two years.

The koalas, going clockwise, are: Bonnie (by far the best condition, still has original fur texture); Bongo (not actually Daekor, but a very similar design, and as the largest, an honorary uncle); Big Boy (the one who is exactly the same size relative to me as KB was when I was a toddler, and is therefore on emergency hug duty at all times - he got a new nose today); Ol' One-Eye (with his brand-new eyepatch!); Nobody (named after the Emily Dickinson poem, distinguished by having no distinguishable features - the third one I ever owned); Scarface (lurking like the bear of mystery he is!); Joanie (so named because she came on a road trip with me to find America right after college); Drop-Bear (aka KB, the original who's been with me since I was born); and Little One.

The brown bears just go by The Three Bears. The raccoons mostly don't have names, but the pinkish-colored one in the middle is Posey, and one of the others has the name Kekko on her tag.

Names and genders subject to change without notice, I just go by what they tell me.

No I do not need 17 semi-identical stuffed animals (or the, uh, 100-ish others I repaired and re-displayed today) but they bring me joy. And those first three - KB, Scarface, and Nobody - taught me early on just how much three creatures theoretically made from the exact same pattern can all have very obviously different personalities.


(14 comments | Reply)


February 19th, 2019 09:37 pm - Snow day!

I am going to get SO MUCH done!†

Here, let's try this markdown list thing again, for accountability:

  • read at least one (1) library book††
  • write at least five hundred (500) words of a wip
  • finish the post-septic-tank-issues bathroom clean
  • tidy the animals and dolls
  • sew my cloak pockets finally! and replace the buttons, and do cutting for next sewing project
  • do one (1) load of laundry
  • finish two (2) knitting projects†††
  • reorganize my desk
  • be ready to start nf book weeding
  • catch up on podcasts††††
  • write up a dreamwidth post with actual substance

That's totally reasonable, right? Right! Especially since Sunbeam on the Couch won't be luring me into spending the morning basking like a cat.

†in theory†††††

††

Open to: Registered Users, detailed results viewable to: All, participants: 49


My options are:

View Answers

Words Are My Matter by Ursula Le Guin
18 (36.7%)

Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee
19 (38.8%)

Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
17 (34.7%)

Shadowhouse Fall by Daniel Jose Older
9 (18.4%)

†††they're both less than 30 minutes from done, so it's not as ambitious at it sounds - it's just what's left is the annoying fiddly bits and I keep putting it off

††††I have seven podcasts I'm behind on, and they're all at exactly nine episodes, so that's only about 63 hours, perfectly doable!

†††††Apparently DW markdown does not like footnotes at all. or polls.


(11 comments | Reply)


February 17th, 2019 08:06 pm
Finally re-made my bed today!

Weight of the 'anti-anxiety' weighted blankets they are now selling in local stores for people my size : 12 lbs
Total weight of my usual winter bedding (flannel sheet, 2 fleece throws, hand-made vintage quilt, Southwestern-style woven cotton blanket or doubled woven wool blanket) : 11.8 lbs.

...oh.

Well, there's another thing to go on the list of "what do you mean, coping mechanism for non-neurotypical people? That's just how we've always done it here!"


Also went to the thrift store for the half-off sale. Bought:
-sealing wax
-mini basketweaving kit
-beading wire
-necklace clasps
-2 yd plaid flannel
-2 small blank sketchbooks
-hedgehog kitchen timer
-steampunk aviator goggles
-'popcorn rocks'
-pack of vintage Crayola
-2 8-oz Coke glasses
-handheld electric bubble maker
-pad of watercolor & charcoal paper
-15 books.

....I need to be kept away from thrift store.

(27 comments | Reply)


February 15th, 2019 05:59 pm - Things I am not currently posting about:

  • fanfic I read this week, even though I really like doing those posts, and [personal profile] novembermond is hosting fanfic friday to encourage people to do that and share it, because I looked back over my AO3 history for the week, and nope it's too embarrassing to share;

  • this other "study" that showed up on pinboard about how social media is bad for you, which I was thinking about doing a bonus science teardown of, except it's such bad science there isn't even anything to tear down, so I'm just going to link to Bad PR instead;

  • a post about putting favorite characters on "too cool for school/just wants to be a good boy" axes spun off from [personal profile] china_shop's very scientific guardian poll because my attempt at doing it spun off into thoughts on power/race/gender vs. tropes vs. sf settings that play with both, and why black panther is so great; and anyway that's too much work to write about;

  • the javascript trope sorter that going around vs. the same list on my trope sorter that I posted the day before it turned up

  • the fanfic I'm currently trying to finish which was supposed to be on the "write a quick ending and call it done" list, hahaha

  • hats, pictures of hats, why I own so many hats, and konmari, because I haven't gotten to the point in the reorganizing project where I am on to hats yet

  • next steps in nonfiction library reshelving project, begun two years ago

  • the martian, welcome to mars, [livejournal.com profile] opportunitygrrl, and how humans are so human about people stranded on mars

  • why every attempt I make to use markdown to do easy lists in DW entries fails

  • work bullshit, because auugh

  • more thoughts about into the spiderverse inspired by listening to the spiderverse soundtrack on my commute inspired by work bullshit

  • weighted blankets vs. blankets that just happens to be weighty because I would have to have made my bed first

  • this unrelated playlist I'm suddenly working on\

  • further bookmarklet updates

  • the current state of the New Septic Tank saga

  • the half-finished december meme post I'm supposed to be posting next

  • probably I will add to this list as I remember more things


(20 comments | Reply)


February 14th, 2019 10:15 pm - Lupercalia
Oh hey, it's Lupercalia already! I was going to post some never-to-be-finished psychic wolf fics for Lupercalia, wasn't I.

Here's ~1000 words of the beginning of a Hogan's Heroes wolfbrother fic the world *definitely* needed, from the February where I got really depressed and marathoned about half of Hogan's Heroes on youtube!


'This is a violation of the Geneva Convention!' Hogan insisted, emphasizing it with a fist to Klink's office desk. )

...and from there it was supposed to go into Hogan trying to run the usual caper plot via the secret tunnel while everything gets increasingly hazy and hormonal. I have no idea what the caper plot was supposed to *be*, though, or what (if any) pairings we were going to end up with. (I think I mostly wanted to figure out the worldbuilding for how they handled wolves in that setting, and I got that far!)

(4 comments | Reply)


> previous 20 entries
> Go to Top
Dreamwidth Studios