|November 24th, 2014 11:33 pm|
I just went through and left prompts for (I think) everyone I'm now subscribed to who's doing the December meme. If my prompt came off as weird or tasteless, sorry, there's a lot of you and I was getting kind of punchy by the end. (Hey it's still less weird than what I did last year, nobody was asked to talk about cabbages and kings or pigs with wings.) Unless I asked you about the weather. If I asked you about the weather I definitely sincerely think it would be really interesting to hear you talk about the weather. We internet people don't talk about the weather enough except when it's being nasty.
If you're doing one and I'm subscribed to you and I missed you, feel free to drop me a link.
|November 23rd, 2014 06:01 pm|
1. We're not talking about the writing okay. (There has been preparing-for-the-holiday cleaning, though. so much cleaning. so much left to do.)
2. I added a bunch of people via the friending meme, and then when I started feeling kind of weird about how less than half of them had added me back, I looked and realized that most of them already
had me added, because I had somehow become the kind of person who had 100 non-mutual followers. Oops. Some of you I'd even already been stalking because I thought you were too cool for me to dare talk to but apparently you were already reading my journal. So I went through and I think I've added-back everyone who has me added and has posted in the last month or so. Hopefully I will not regret it. If I missed you somehow, pipe up and say something. If you were hate-stalking me in the assurance I'd never add you back and you want me to go away, just let me know.
(ETA: I didn't mean to imply non-mutual-friending was bad, just that maybe, uh, accidentally not paying any attention at all to your subscribers list for over a year, even though you're looking for new dw friends, may not be the best idea either. Balance. Balance is good.)
Normally this is where I'd say 'welcome new people' but you were all already here. Don't mind me when I suddenly turn up in your comments?
3. There's still lots of slots open for December topics
if anyone still cares.
4. I just made my 150 books reading goal on Goodreads! So of course I immediately upgraded it to 175 and am now 4 books behind. But even if I just finish all my currently-reading and all my current library books by the end of the year, I should make it easily. (spoiler: I will not finish all my currently-reading by the end of the year.)
This isn't nearly as impressive as it seems because of the 152 books I currently have listed as read this year: 77 are comic trades, 26 are picture books or easy readers, 8 are glossy coffee-table books that are mostly pictures, 4 were more pamphlets than books, and 19 were 'activity-focused' books like piano books, field guides, or craft books. So of real grown-up books that have more words than pictures, I only score 37. Of course a lot of those 37 were, like, ridiculously dense academic texts, so I guess it sort of evens out? Also I was supposed to be doing this so I could read some of the unread books I have piled in my bedroom, but only 39 of them were books I own as opposed to borrowed. And 17 of those were ones I acquired this year. So mission: backlog, not going so great.
Anyway I started this with good intentions to review everything on GR but am now way behind. I may try to do capsule reviews of most of them to round out the year? I dunno. All of the current topics on my December meme are going to end up as reviews of multiple books I read this year, I suspect.
5. Ugh I have to do more cleaning.
|November 17th, 2014 05:35 pm|
1. I have been doing a terrible job with the writing lately. Since last update, I have written a few hundred more words of the ANitLO crossover, some more Montparnasse fic, some more Booby!Marius story, and a tiny tiny bit of the one where Cap and Tony are both fail at coming out.
2. Part of the reason for this is that I keep coming home at night and not wanting to do anything but SLEEP. So yesterday I read rydra_wong
's post on winter light
and realized that the fact that f.lux
is set to make me sleepy at sunset probably isn't helping. I didn't want to turn it off because I still don't need to be staring bright-eyed at Tumblr until 2 AM, so I decided to try reversing the latitude on my f.lux location - it may be getting dark under the daystar, but my laptop's brightness now thinks I live off the coast of South America and it's late spring with the days still getting longer. We'll see if it helps.
3. Also possibly more relevantly to the lack of writing I read the Loki: Agent of Asgard trade
and then read all of the Boyband!Loki fic on AO3. I knew
better than to start reading Loki:AoA, because getting mixed up with trickster gods is ALWAYS a bad idea, and besides I've read enough Marvel Now trades to know that it'll inevitably get mixed up in a massive crossover event and start to suck. But you know. As of the first trade it is basically flawless and also 100% made of fandom catnip and I can't. Come talk to me about AoA.
Comics!Loki, for those who don't know, has in the past few years gone through a complicated series of disincorporations/autocides/reiterations,
more-or-less intentionally, and is currently in a body that frequently gets him mistaken for Harry Styles and/or Justin Beiber, trying to figure out how to stop being the villain of the story and develop a working conscience, despite everything - from his destiny to his Queens - working against him. If boyband!Loki gleefully out-scheming everybody in the Marvel Universe, swashbuckling with hot dudes, going on crime capers as a hot chick, having vaguely-platonic coffee with a cute hipster girl he met while speed-dating, being blatantly objectified by the narrative, being canonically pansexual and genderfluid, and being tragic yet determined about stuff like the nature of free will and stories and truth and good and evil and guilt and redemption sound like your kind of thing - well, run very fast in the other direction from Agent of Asgard, okay, because Loki is always bad news.
(If you've seen the panels where Loki confesses to having created a most terrible slash on the internet
, okay, so, on the one hand yay, on the other hand given all the meta stuff about how Loki is defined by the stories written about him, and his newly canonically fluid gender/sexuality, I really
want to talk about why Loki is creating slash on the internet, and what stories he's telling.)
he's writing about Sigurd fucking him in their trash dumpster.
4. ( Here are some boyband!Loki fic recs )
You will notice there is no Sigurd in those recs. That is because there is no Sigurd fic on AO3. At all. ...fandom, write me some Loki/Sigurd fic like, yesterday. HOW CAN YOU RESIST THAT FACE
5. I shall put in for the DW friending meme
is running, but it totally expects you to be doing the December posting meme. I have too much stuff going on to commit to posting on certain days, but I will borrow isis
's weekly variation. So here is your chance to make me talk about a thing, any thing at all.
as long as it's AoA Loki
Give me a topic and pick a week and I will try to talk about that topic on my journal at some point during that week. (disclaimers: topics for a given week are cut off after 5; several topics may be combined into one post.)
Week 1: Dec 1-7 : a book you loved that you didn't expect to and why (the_rck
); what are your feelings on Agent of Asgard? (dhampyresa
Week 2: Dec 8-14 : what would be your ideal next canon YA series? (schneefink
); Young Wizards crossovers! Why are they awesome? Can everything be a YW crossover? Discuss. (sineala
); Most oddball piece of research done this year - whether it be for work, wrangling, fic or because the brain-weasels attacked ... (aoifes_isle
Week 3: Dec 15-21 : how the MCU compares to comic universe (chordatesrock
); Tell me something (or somethings, if you like) you would like to see more of in the fantasy genre. (alasse_irena
Week 4: Dec 22-28 : could you talk a bit about Their Majesties' Bucketeers? I reread it not too long ago and I'd love to hear about what kind of fic you wish there was, or some meta if you've got it in you. (fenellaevangela
); talk about your writing process (espresso_addict
).; perhaps you could talk about The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage (redsnake05
6. If you're curious about why I sometimes go a long time between DW posts, my process here was literally: a) I can't post the friend meme comment until I've made the DW post to link to; b) I can't make the DW post until I've made the Tumblr post to link to; c) I can't make the Tumblr post until I have scanned the comics; d) I can't scan the comics until I have dug the scanner out of the pile behind the couch; e) I will deal with the pile behind the couch sometime after hell freezes over.
|November 7th, 2014 11:09 pm|
Yesterday, I wrote 500 words of Valjean/Montparnasse porn.
I had big plans to spend my unexpected day off yesterday catching up on wordcount and maybe actually finishing a pornfic for once, but i forgot that a) porn is hard, b) getting anything at all done on a day off is impossible.
Today, I wrote 177 words of the one where Methos bros around with Ed'rashtekaresket
, because I've been reading all the YW crossovers. Including mine. And remembered that would technically count as 'working on something I felt bad about posting just the first bit of' <_<
...on the plus side at least I have written *something* on a wip almost every day so far?
|November 6th, 2014 12:01 am|
Finished my intoabar fic, adding 1233 words, which means I owe $22 to the ACLU:
To These Ends (2170 words)
Fandom: Young Wizards - Diane Duane, Captain America (Movies)
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Characters: Jasper Sitwell, Nita Callahan, Tom Swale, Carl Romeo, James "Bucky" Barnes
Additional Tags: Young Wizards fusion, I Believe in Jasper Sitwell, Sitwell lives, Triple Agent Jasper Sitwell, Fluff, Tom and Carl's House, Community: intoabar, tom and carl's koi, Post-Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Crossover, Everyone Loves Sam Wilson
Summary: Jasper Sitwell
walks teleports into a bar Tom and Carl's yard and meets Nita Callahan.
- Finished my long-in-draft post about the Science of Assbabies, currently posted to tumblr, adding 700 words, which means I owe $20 to, uh, probably something about fistulas? IDK which of those charities are most respectable, I should research. Anyway:
Mpreg, Science, and You on melannen
|November 5th, 2014 11:31 am|
The nice thing about working the election is that I get way too invested in "do we have the right number of tiny pieces of paper in the right paper bags" and "when can I sleep someday I will be able to sleep" and "have my feet stopped hurting yet, will they even stop hurting" and "OMG DONUTS" to have any give-a-crap left for the actual results of the election. So that's all there is to say for that.
(I was on-my-feet-for-sixteen-hours-straight-no-writing yesterday and then I came home and slept for twelve more, so no nano has been done for awhile.)
|November 3rd, 2014 08:27 pm|
Today, I wrote 1,000 more words of the one where Marius is a booby and Cosette is a marine biologist specializing in seabirds, and I wrote 100 more words of the one where Valjean's magic penis cures TB. Because I write high-brow canon-based fic.
Tomorrow I get to spend 16 hours working the election, so either it will be very boring and I will write a ton, or I will be running off my feet all day. Or I will be bored but still not write anything. One of those.
|November 2nd, 2014 06:03 pm|
1. For those of you who were at the party last night, I looked it up, and "Natural Harvest" says that semen has approximately the same textural qualities in cooking and baking as egg white, so you probably wouldn't need extra stiffeners. ^_^
2. Also, Riddles of the Exeter Book
, our grand and noble heritage as English speakers, and 100% definitely
what really happened in "Riddles in the Dark", someone
should write that version.
3. So I didn't quite manage the October challange to finish at least five wips so I could earn the right to do NaNo; I'm actually REALLY CLOSE but when it came down to the wire I said "screw it" and went to bed early instead. oops. So as punishment, instead of NaNo, I have decided I have to add at least 1500 words to one of my wips every day in November.
To aid this effort, last week (...when I could have been writing) I went through and made a new Scrivener file that includes every story I have worked on but not finished in the past three-and-some years. It has 154 files, containing 294,856 words, divided into four main folders: "WIPs", "WIPs that I claimed were finished and posted to AO3 anyway", "stories that exist only as outlines", and "notfic and ficlets I could expand". Along with some original fiction and nonfiction stuff, there are approximately 63 different fandoms represented.
(compare this to my complete fic posted to AO3, where there are 104 stories with 97 different fandom tags, and 284875 total words. --there's overlap there, though, due to the 'WIPs I claimed were finished and posted anyway" category, though only about 50,000 words' worth. Of course AO3 represents over ten years' output as opposed to three-and-a-bit.)
Anyway I will be posting the stories I worked on and how many words here periodically, to motivate myself, under the tag 'nanowrimo' if you care. Also I have realized I have a bunch of money I budgeted to give away this year that I've spent hardly any of, so to sweeten the pot, every time I finish a WIP this month I will donate 1% of its wordcount (in dollars) to a semi-related good cause of some sort. whooo.
So far I have:
So I'm not technically behind until I go to bed tonight without writing anything more!
4. Harry Potter LJ fandom is apparently having a reunion party
this week. I'm not sure if I'll do anything for it (...finish a ten-year-old HP wip, maybe?) but I think there's still some old HP friends hanging around here who might be interested.
Current Mood:: cold
|October 25th, 2014 04:18 pm|
I have successfully yuletide-sign-upped! Well, assuming I didn't screw up my bucket offer again this year. I decided to be conservative and only offered 60 fandoms this time (...though it would have been 96 if I'd included my six requests and the 30 nominated fandoms that I'd already written or been gifted in exchanges.)
Anyway I'm not doing a yuletide letter this year out of a sad and ineffective protest against the increasing amounts of pressure put on both writers and requesters re: optional letters which are optional, but here is a repost of my requests this year, just for posterity:( Young Wizards )( Munchers )( Ashers )( Lucky Starr )( Lovelace and Babbage )( The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot )
If there's anything else my writer needs to know, they have ten years' worth of YT under this tag to comb through, but really, it's all in the signup, don't worry.
|October 22nd, 2014 10:04 pm - Updates on previous post|sophia_sol
has posted an attempted interpretation of Oolon Colluphid Was Right
! You should all go there and join the conversation
so that I can continue to cackle unhelpfully in the corner.
Also, the breakaway hit from the list of bunnies in the previous post (which I am continuing to add things to, btw, as the odds of me actually winning the challenge go down....) was "Avengers Go To A Drag Ball", because apparently for some reason people think I, would, like, do it justice? ahah. ahahaha. hahahaha.
Here, for you edification, is 100% of everything I have done with that idea in the past three years, since I first came up with it (file last edited Jan 2013):
IIRC Tony's drag name was going to be Lady Natasha Touchamy, because he enjoys living dangerously. (and the Natasha is canon of course.) (Natasha's was, uh, something like Tony Tinydick? I think.)
Current Music:: bruz fletcher - drunk with love
|October 18th, 2014 04:24 pm|
I am backreading old fic in my tags (partly to procrastinate actually finishing any more, partly because I'm thinking about finally putting together an AO3 anthology of scraps too small to go anywhere else, partly because I am masochistically collecting old bunnies I could write the first 1700 words of if I make my October goal**
And I just want to say that if anybody felt like posting their translation of Oolon Colluphid was Right
somewhere I could see it, it would make my weekend. ^_^
assignment is Jasper Sitwall & Nita Callahan, which is simultaneously too hard and way too easy)**Here is my current list of bunnies-I-could-totally-write-the-first-1700-words-of-as-long-as-I-wasn't-obligated-to-finish, if any of you want to egg me on in my challenge <_<
*the AU where Javert becomes a criminal mastermind instead of a cop and recruits Valjean before he meets the bishop
* the Community/Captain America crossover
* the next bit of the Community werewolf AU
* the YA fic where Billy Kaplan is terrified that he's been accidentally turning everyone queer
* the one where Carlos takes Cecil as his date to the Ig-Nobel awards
* the Kirk/Spock/Uhura conduit fic (where Kirk is the conduit)
* the les amis in Omelas au
* the SGA as Gethenians au
* the Avengers Go To A Drag Ball (because if Steve comes out he wants to come out the proper old-fashioned way, by dancing with Sam at a drag ball)
* Valjean in the Ankh-Morpork AU
* pallet/shipping container slash
* Steve Rogers/Betty White
* Stacker Pentecost/Hannibal Chau hate-is-too-strong-a-word!sex
* les amis go to the moon and meet the Lunar Man-Bats
* les amis in Starfleet
* four-year-old baby spy Natasha being trained by the Winter Soldier
* Harry Dresden Sings the Blues
* The Erlking vs. Benton Fraser
* The next bit of the one where Langoustini meets Marcone
* the dS/DW AU where there's only one Ray, but he's a Time Lord
* the Pacific Rim Star Wars AU
* the one where Methos is forced to admit he's Scottish by upbringing, oops
* the one where Methos is forced to admit he's a virgin, oops
* the sequel to the hl/yw fic where Methos and Ed'rashtekaresket are bros
* the one where Marius and Cosette meet Azelma in New Orleans
* the one where les amis are judges in an American election
* the Eroica baseball au
* the one with Klaus and the "machine"
* the one where Adora Belle Dearheart becomes Patrician because the men are all too chickenhearted to do it
* the Lucky Starr AU with magical soulmate wrist tattoos - wait not an AU sorry
* the one where the serum doesn't work and Steve Rogers becomes a Pulitzer-prize winning war cartoonist instead
* the one where Aurora Pontmercy has twelve dead godfathers
* Peter Quill/Dean Winchester, driver picks the music
* the one where hot grown-up Gavroche goes back in time and saves everyone at the barricades
* the one where Bucky writes a book
* the Good Omens Easter story
* the next bit of the epic Night in the Lonesome October sequel
* Valjean and Javert at La Madeleine
* Les Amis start a porn studio (for great justice)
*JARVIS finds a copy of the Wizard's Manual on one of his drives, and has to make a Choice
*Lady Ekaterin Vorkosigan/Admiral Miles Naismith
*The AU where pere Madeleine is Bishop of Digne and Javert is a young priest serving under him
*Grantaire takes a love potion to make himself fall for Enjolras
|October 16th, 2014 05:33 pm - I finished another one!|
Yay! With the one I finished earlier in the week than still needs some revisions, that means I got two more done in time to sign up for intoabar
. (Okay only because intoabar extended its signup deadline, but still. :P) So here is story #3:Ricochet
(2361 words) by melannen
Fandom: Captain America (Movies)
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: James "Bucky" Barnes/Captain America's Shield
Characters: James "Bucky" Barnes, Steve Rogers, Maria Hill, Natasha Romanov
Additional Tags: frisbee, Captain America's shield - Freeform, Post-Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Famous National Mall Frisbee Game of 2014
Hurrah for finishing things!
(I'd say it's weird to post in a massively large fandom again and get so many kudos so fast, except...I'm pretty sure I can get used to that again prettyyy darn quick.)
|October 2nd, 2014 10:20 am - Goals|
Hi I am back! (Okay I was back Sunday, have just been easing back into life very... slowly.) I even got my YT noms in woo!
Meanwhile I have declared October to be Finish Yer Dern Wips month. (Not all of them, that would be nuts, just the ones that have wound up on the thumb drive I take to work.) So prepare yourself for a deluge of fic that starts well and then has an abrupt tacked-on ending. :P
Here's the first one:The Nothing Hurts 'Verse
(4591 words) by melannen
: Les Misérables (2012)Rating
: General AudiencesWarnings
: No Archive Warnings ApplyRelationships
: Javert/Jean ValjeanAdditional Tags
: Fluff, Alternate Universe - Modern Setting, Alternate Universe - Everyone Lives/Nobody Dies, Dancing, Historical Reenactment, Clothing, Coming Out, Established Relationship, Self-Indulgent, Coffee, DonutsSummary
: In which there are ficlets set in an egregiously fluffy modern-day JVJ AU and there is a lot of awkward old men drinking coffee together, falling in love, slandering Marius Pontmercy and tripping over things.
There are eight more. If I finish two more of them by October 15, I get to sign up for intobar
. If I finish four more of them by the end of the month, I get to do NaNo. If I finish all eight of them (or, at least, get to a postable stopping point) I get to do a NaNo that consists of the first 1700 words of 30 different stories that I will never finish, without guilting about it, as a trenchant postmodern commentary on the writing process. Yes. That seems like a reward I might be willing to fight for
Hopefully are all in the perfect state of mellow aging that the first one was, where I still remember what happens but I no longer have the passionate obsession with the story that makes me too scared to write anything down...
Here are the other eight, in order of how recently I haven't worked on them, if you want to egg me on for one of them. :P
- The Marius/Cosette modern day AU that's heavily based on my own experience of modern US political activism. Currently 100 words, estimated ~5,000 finished.
- The Enjolras/Grantaire modern day AU that's based on tlb daring me to write one in the ~true spirit~ of Victor Hugo. Currently 1075 words, estimated ~3500 finished.
- The next chapter of the Les Mis pirates AU, currently 352 words, estimated ~1000 finished. (finishing the chapter counts, this is meant to be A Serial That Never Ends.)
- The Sequel to The One Where Tony Stark and Princess Leia Hook Up, that's been in 'progress' since before the Avengers movie came out, surely space battles aren't *that* hard to write and that's all I have left, currently 5,651 words, estimated ~7500 words complete.
- The one where Captain America and the Winter Soldier play Frisbee on the National Mall and Maria Hill hates her job. Currently 1204 words, estimated 2000 finished.
- The one where Drifting makes you Not Have Sex and Newt is not happy about this at all. Currently 1982 words, estimated 3500 complete (first stand-alone-ish part of a plotted Five Times Newt And Hermann Attempt To Have Sex)
- The Eponine/Cosette modern day AU where they both work at an aquarium and are raising an orphaned Sula nebouxii by the name of Baron Pontmercy. Currenly 1075 words, estimated ~5000 words finished.
- The first part of the one where the Guardians of the Galaxy get married to each other because sure, whatever, why the hell not get married. Currently 6125 words, estimated 10000 words complete.
Counting the one I finished yesterday, that's 19674 words written, 21656 to go, 41300 words of finished fic for the month. Totally doable, right? With the one I finished yesterday I'm almost halfway there already and it's only the second day!!
Current Music:: sweet dreams are made of these
Current Mood:: ambitious
|September 21st, 2014 11:54 am|
I am going to make one more attempt at triaging my incredibly-backed-up-because-I've-been-ignoring-it email, and then I'm taking a week-long holiday from the internet. Don't break the place while I'm gone!
(Hopefully I will be back just before yuletide noms end. If not, somebody make sure that Number Munchers and Young Avengers and the Asher novels get nominated. ^_^)
|September 16th, 2014 10:18 pm - Let's talk about books!|
I made my "read 100 books in a year" challenge last week! I've been tracking it on Goodreads, because I'm finding it a lot easier to track reading separately from tracking ownership, but I imported the first hundred to LibraryThing because LibraryThing is still just a much more powerful database, so you can see them all under my Read 2014 tag
. I've been reviewing them on Goodreads as I go, when I can, but if you would like me to blather at you in comments about any of the books on that list, here is your chance. :P
I've also been keeping an actual to-read list for the first time ever. I only started it a couple weeks ago, and it only includes media that are available at the library where I work, and it hit 100 items today. (Don't ever work at a library if you want to keep your to-read lists under control.) It's under the cut. If you would like to blather at me in a comment about any of these, here is your chance! (But don't count on me getting around to reading them anytime soon. This just the "check out from library" list. It doesn't include the 50-book-high to-read pile at home, or the 21 books in the 'currently reading' list, or the shelf of withdrawn books I want to read before I sell them on, or----) It also only includes things I've never read/watched/listened to before, and it has a lot of cases where one item is a stand-in for a whole series....( 100 to-read, to-listen, or to-watch items )
...you get bonus points if you can guess which fandom/writing project inspired any of the nonfiction ones. <_<
|September 12th, 2014 06:38 pm|
So I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy in a Friday afternoon matinee. It was a very fun and very very pretty movie and the plot even mostly made sense, which is a sadly high standard to hold action movies to these days, but sadly I can no longer watch a movie without noticing all the times it takes the lazy way out and could have done better. (Note : never read "Save The Cat" if you want to be able to enjoy an action movie ever again.) Anybody still interested in talking about that movie? ( v. minor spoilers )
|September 9th, 2014 05:46 pm - Happiness|
There's a "List Ten Things That Make You Happy" meme going around Tumblr, and since:
a) I would like to see the meme here on DW instead,
b) I am just coming out of an *amazingly* awful week or so (totaling the car was not the worst thing that happened, if that gives you a benchmark...)
c) but it's over! and nothign terrible has happened for AT LEAST three days, and also I'm at the point in my cycle where I get a random mood lift to compensate for the cramps,
d) and I finally bucked up and made the phone calls necessary to book a WEEK IN A 1930s BEACH CABIN at the end of the month, which I have only wanted to do for twenty years, so my brain is full of BEACH CABIN IN AUTUMN;
Here are ten things that make me happy in no particular order:
1. Long walks on a wild beach.
2. The kind of weather where it's cool but not yet cold, and cloudy, and just windy enough to not be stuffy, and everything seems to have agreed to hush, just for a day, because every noise feels like an unnecessary disruption of the peace.
3. Driving around on empty roads at night listening to the kind of music that sounds like molasses would, so that it seems like you and the singer are two observers outside the world.
4. Sitting in the hammock chair on the screened-in porch during a storm.
5. Afternoon naps in the sun.
6. Popular nonfiction books from the early 20th century where the authors assume that every reader is smart enough, and skilled enough, and hungry enough, and fearless enough, to follow along as far as the author wants to take them.
7. Warm and snuggly creatures.
8. Making something and knowing that what I made is good, and beautiful, and useful.
9. Practicing a new skill when I'm still bad enough at it that I can see the massive improvement after every session.
10. Getting up early to see the dawn come in, when only the early birds are around to keep me company and I can see the light creep in through the trees, and then knowing I can go back to sleep afterward and sleep as long as I want.
..um, and I normally don't tag people on these because of my deep anxiety that people will think I don't like them enough, but I do want it to spread, and I love you *all*, so, uh, I tag everyone who hasn't done it yet. ^_^
Current Mood:: happy
|August 10th, 2014 07:59 pm - Camping Weekend in Review|
|July 29th, 2014 07:59 pm|
1. The sheet music offer is still open to people in my circles, since I didn't exactly get overloaded with requests. (and I haven't gotten around to putting the scanner away yet.)
2. The reason I haven't posted anything substantial here since con.txt is... *drumroll* .... I am feeling guilty about not doing the con-txt followup I said I should do. So if there's something I told you I would do at/after con-txt and I haven't done it yet, pls poke me again? Either I've forgotten or I've been marinating in procrastinator's guilt and need somebody to kick me in the reset button.
3. So I finally watched Pacific Rim! It came in at the library, and people were still excited about it at con-txt, and also I acquired this DVD projector I wanted to test, so we watched it projected on a sheet taped up to the screen porch, because that seems like the right way to watch a movie like that. (Then I watched it on my laptop so I could actually catch the details. Like Raleigh's drivesuit scars that there is NO FANFIC AT ALL ABOUT, wtf fandom.)
Anyway not going to bother with a spoiler cut since it's a year old and I'm not discussing plots, but here are my thoughts:
Both the worldbuilding and the plot are 100% incoherent, the giant monster fights were okay but I kept getting distracted from the awesome by trying and failing to make them make sense, they really really really dropped the ball on diversity otherwise even though Idris Elba is amazing and Mako is also amazing, but don't let anyone tell you her story was groundbreaking, it's pretty standard and it's mostly about the men in her life.
This will probably remain a favorite of mine, because it is approx. 0% heterosexuality by weight. And that doesn't mean it's particularly queer either - there's just no portrayal of sexuality in it at all. This is a movie where you can easily argue that not only all the protagonists, but also the entire society, is asexual and aromantic.
And for a movie that is almost entirely about close, intense relationships, that's astonishing - but all the relationships, from Newt and Hermann's working partnership, to the various family relationships, to Mako and Raleigh's adorable bffs-at-first-sight, this is a movie that glorifies the nonromantic and nonsexual to the extent that it seems to forget that romantic and sexual exist. Other than one line in a flashback where a tertiary character casually mentions a semi-successful date, there's nothing - no offhand attempts to establish the heroes' het cred, no background advertisements selling sex, no casual references to attractiveness, not even any mentions of, like, people having parents who were a couple, that I can recall. (Even the Kaidonovskys, iirc, aren't mentioned as a couple in the movie canon, and don't interact in any blatantly romantic ways - taking the movie as a standalone, they could be, you know, cousins.)
And that was - it was so restful, you can't even imagine. Finally a movie that felt like home, it was so great.
..so then I went back to the fanfic and of course it's like 90% shipping by weight. I know I almost always end up dissatisfied with the shippy fic once I watch canon, but in this case it left me ... itchy, probably because of the way the canon just felt so comfortable in its total lack of shipping and sexuality.
So I read some of the Newt/Hermann fic I'd been saving until I saw the movie, and it still did what Newt/Hermann fandom does so well - body mods, soulbonding, relationships with long histories, social maladjustment, disability, extremely smart people who like showing off, competence porn, snark hiding affection, xenophilia, unconventional domesticity, weird telepathy stuff, people two feet beyond the end of their rope who can't even remember how to fall, etc. -- all things I like in a pairing, and it left me deeply unsatisfied.
So then I checked out the novelization because I'd heard it was good and it seemed like it might be what I wanted in terms of More Of Canon, but I still get too antsy to have gotten very far, because something in me knows exactly what I wanted out of Pac Rim fandom, and that's not it.
So finally I sat down and asked myself, okay, what is it you do want out of this fandom that you're not getting?
I want some fanfic that's novel-length, about the doomed, hotshot pilots who risk their lives fighting to protect the defenseless, in the last days of the Resistance, with an aesthetic of abandoned WWII bunker + neon and tattoos + sweeping vistas + SF technology taken for granted, in a war where the stakes are so high that entire planetary ecologies are just minor collateral damage, and a society's been torn apart so long that nobody hasn't lost something, heart and home. With a cast that's blatantly, in-your-face diverse on a bunch of axes, dealing with disabilities and scars both mental and physical and loss after loss of loved ones, but resilient and idealistic despite that, drinking their pain away in makeshift dive bars deep in massive, hastily-assembled military installations. Most of the important relationships aren't romantic, and there's lots of stuff with organized crime intersecting the resistance, plus aliens and robots and maybe some poorly explained psi powers.
..and then I went "oh crap, I know what that is" and started re-reading the X-Wing novels instead.
So there's that.
I did start a Newt/Hermann fic where one of the side effects of Drifting is that you are no longer neurologically capable of finding your Drift partner sexually attractive - because that's the other thing that I *definitely* wanted out of this fandom - but even odds now if I'll finish that before I finish the one about Master Pentecost and his motley band of Jedi Pilot trainees and washouts, one last holdout on the Planet of the Kaiju in the decades after the clone wars, and how former Knight Beckett showed Mako Mori the way to her Jedi trials.
(The X-Wing novels hold up surprisingly well, better than I feared! I'm noticing some of the really awful stuff with how the universe handles aliens-as-metaphor-for-race more now that I did fifteen years ago, but the X-Wing novels try really hard to give you real diversity anyway, even if you do know that one of the nonhuman female pilots is always going to die first.)
|July 27th, 2014 09:09 pm - Music|
I have my scanner out tonight.
I have also put all of the sheet music I own*
into a spreadsheet, so here is your limited-time offer: until I
go to sleep tonight,
get tired of messing with it, anybody who wants can request one song off that list and I will scan it for them. Enjoy!Sheet Music Index
I suggest using full-text search if you want to find a certain song, there's almost 4000 entries in the list. It's heavily skewed toward old standards/broadway and pop/folk music from 1979 and before, because that's what you get when you shop at yard sales for it. Highlights include: a bunch of "buy war bonds!" sheet music from the early '40s, the complete Tom Lehrer collection, Donald Swann's settings of the songs of Tolkien.
...no I am not good enough to play most of this. I am a ridiculous person.
Requests uploaded so far: I Got RhythmThe Sound of Silence*
that's not actually all of it, I haven't put in some of the fake books or the any of the hymnal collection yet. or any of the stuff printed off the internet. or most of the stuff in the lesson books, or most of the clarinet/sax/flute/organ music. but it's most of it.