|October 25th, 2014 04:18 pm|
I have successfully yuletide-sign-upped! Well, assuming I didn't screw up my bucket offer again this year. I decided to be conservative and only offered 60 fandoms this time (...though it would have been 96 if I'd included my six requests and the 30 nominated fandoms that I'd already written or been gifted in exchanges.)
Anyway I'm not doing a yuletide letter this year out of a sad and ineffective protest against the increasing amounts of pressure put on both writers and requesters re: optional letters which are optional, but here is a repost of my requests this year, just for posterity:( Young Wizards )( Munchers )( Ashers )( Lucky Starr )( Lovelace and Babbage )( The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot )
If there's anything else my writer needs to know, they have ten years' worth of YT under this tag to comb through, but really, it's all in the signup, don't worry.
|October 22nd, 2014 10:04 pm - Updates on previous post|sophia_sol
has posted an attempted interpretation of Oolon Colluphid Was Right
! You should all go there and join the conversation
so that I can continue to cackle unhelpfully in the corner.
Also, the breakaway hit from the list of bunnies in the previous post (which I am continuing to add things to, btw, as the odds of me actually winning the challenge go down....) was "Avengers Go To A Drag Ball", because apparently for some reason people think I, would, like, do it justice? ahah. ahahaha. hahahaha.
Here, for you edification, is 100% of everything I have done with that idea in the past three years, since I first came up with it (file last edited Jan 2013):
IIRC Tony's drag name was going to be Lady Natasha Touchamy, because he enjoys living dangerously. (and the Natasha is canon of course.) (Natasha's was, uh, something like Tony Tinydick? I think.)
Current Music:: bruz fletcher - drunk with love
|October 18th, 2014 04:24 pm|
I am backreading old fic in my tags (partly to procrastinate actually finishing any more, partly because I'm thinking about finally putting together an AO3 anthology of scraps too small to go anywhere else, partly because I am masochistically collecting old bunnies I could write the first 1700 words of if I make my October goal**
And I just want to say that if anybody felt like posting their translation of Oolon Colluphid was Right
somewhere I could see it, it would make my weekend. ^_^
assignment is Jasper Sitwall & Nita Callahan, which is simultaneously too hard and way too easy)**Here is my current list of bunnies-I-could-totally-write-the-first-1700-words-of-as-long-as-I-wasn't-obligated-to-finish, if any of you want to egg me on in my challenge <_<
*the AU where Javert becomes a criminal mastermind instead of a cop and recruits Valjean before he meets the bishop
* the Community/Captain America crossover
* the next bit of the Community werewolf AU
* the YA fic where Billy Kaplan is terrified that he's been accidentally turning everyone queer
* the one where Carlos takes Cecil as his date to the Ig-Nobel awards
* the Kirk/Spock/Uhura conduit fic (where Kirk is the conduit)
* the les amis in Omelas au
* the SGA as Gethenians au
* the Avengers Go To A Drag Ball (because if Steve comes out he wants to come out the proper old-fashioned way, by dancing with Sam at a drag ball)
* Valjean in the Ankh-Morpork AU
* pallet/shipping container slash
* Steve Rogers/Betty White
* Stacker Pentecost/Hannibal Chau hate-is-too-strong-a-word!sex
* les amis go to the moon and meet the Lunar Man-Bats
* les amis in Starfleet
* four-year-old baby spy Natasha being trained by the Winter Soldier
* Harry Dresden Sings the Blues
* The Erlking vs. Benton Fraser
* The next bit of the one where Langoustini meets Marcone
* the dS/DW AU where there's only one Ray, but he's a Time Lord
* the Pacific Rim Star Wars AU
* the one where Methos is forced to admit he's Scottish by upbringing, oops
* the one where Methos is forced to admit he's a virgin, oops
* the sequel to the hl/yw fic where Methos and Ed'rashtekaresket are bros
* the one where Marius and Cosette meet Azelma in New Orleans
* the one where les amis are judges in an American election
* the Eroica baseball au
* the one with Klaus and the "machine"
* the one where Adora Belle Dearheart becomes Patrician because the men are all too chickenhearted to do it
* the Lucky Starr AU with magical soulmate wrist tattoos - wait not an AU sorry
* the one where the serum doesn't work and Steve Rogers becomes a Pulitzer-prize winning war cartoonist instead
* the one where Aurora Pontmercy has twelve dead godfathers
* Peter Quill/Dean Winchester, driver picks the music
* the one where hot grown-up Gavroche goes back in time and saves everyone at the barricades
* the one where Bucky writes a book
* the Good Omens Easter story
* the next bit of the epic Night in the Lonesome October sequel
* Valjean and Javert at La Madeleine
* Les Amis start a porn studio (for great justice)
*JARVIS finds a copy of the Wizard's Manual on one of his drives, and has to make a Choice
*Lady Ekaterin Vorkosigan/Admiral Miles Naismith
*The AU where pere Madeleine is Bishop of Digne and Javert is a young priest serving under him
*Grantaire takes a love potion to make himself fall for Enjolras
|October 16th, 2014 05:33 pm - I finished another one!|
Yay! With the one I finished earlier in the week than still needs some revisions, that means I got two more done in time to sign up for intoabar
. (Okay only because intoabar extended its signup deadline, but still. :P) So here is story #3:Ricochet
(2361 words) by melannen
Fandom: Captain America (Movies)
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: James "Bucky" Barnes/Captain America's Shield
Characters: James "Bucky" Barnes, Steve Rogers, Maria Hill, Natasha Romanov
Additional Tags: frisbee, Captain America's shield - Freeform, Post-Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Famous National Mall Frisbee Game of 2014
Hurrah for finishing things!
(I'd say it's weird to post in a massively large fandom again and get so many kudos so fast, except...I'm pretty sure I can get used to that again prettyyy darn quick.)
|October 2nd, 2014 10:20 am - Goals|
Hi I am back! (Okay I was back Sunday, have just been easing back into life very... slowly.) I even got my YT noms in woo!
Meanwhile I have declared October to be Finish Yer Dern Wips month. (Not all of them, that would be nuts, just the ones that have wound up on the thumb drive I take to work.) So prepare yourself for a deluge of fic that starts well and then has an abrupt tacked-on ending. :P
Here's the first one:The Nothing Hurts 'Verse
(4591 words) by melannen
: Les Misérables (2012)Rating
: General AudiencesWarnings
: No Archive Warnings ApplyRelationships
: Javert/Jean ValjeanAdditional Tags
: Fluff, Alternate Universe - Modern Setting, Alternate Universe - Everyone Lives/Nobody Dies, Dancing, Historical Reenactment, Clothing, Coming Out, Established Relationship, Self-Indulgent, Coffee, DonutsSummary
: In which there are ficlets set in an egregiously fluffy modern-day JVJ AU and there is a lot of awkward old men drinking coffee together, falling in love, slandering Marius Pontmercy and tripping over things.
There are eight more. If I finish two more of them by October 15, I get to sign up for intobar
. If I finish four more of them by the end of the month, I get to do NaNo. If I finish all eight of them (or, at least, get to a postable stopping point) I get to do a NaNo that consists of the first 1700 words of 30 different stories that I will never finish, without guilting about it, as a trenchant postmodern commentary on the writing process. Yes. That seems like a reward I might be willing to fight for
Hopefully are all in the perfect state of mellow aging that the first one was, where I still remember what happens but I no longer have the passionate obsession with the story that makes me too scared to write anything down...
Here are the other eight, in order of how recently I haven't worked on them, if you want to egg me on for one of them. :P
- The Marius/Cosette modern day AU that's heavily based on my own experience of modern US political activism. Currently 100 words, estimated ~5,000 finished.
- The Enjolras/Grantaire modern day AU that's based on tlb daring me to write one in the ~true spirit~ of Victor Hugo. Currently 1075 words, estimated ~3500 finished.
- The next chapter of the Les Mis pirates AU, currently 352 words, estimated ~1000 finished. (finishing the chapter counts, this is meant to be A Serial That Never Ends.)
- The Sequel to The One Where Tony Stark and Princess Leia Hook Up, that's been in 'progress' since before the Avengers movie came out, surely space battles aren't *that* hard to write and that's all I have left, currently 5,651 words, estimated ~7500 words complete.
- The one where Captain America and the Winter Soldier play Frisbee on the National Mall and Maria Hill hates her job. Currently 1204 words, estimated 2000 finished.
- The one where Drifting makes you Not Have Sex and Newt is not happy about this at all. Currently 1982 words, estimated 3500 complete (first stand-alone-ish part of a plotted Five Times Newt And Hermann Attempt To Have Sex)
- The Eponine/Cosette modern day AU where they both work at an aquarium and are raising an orphaned Sula nebouxii by the name of Baron Pontmercy. Currenly 1075 words, estimated ~5000 words finished.
- The first part of the one where the Guardians of the Galaxy get married to each other because sure, whatever, why the hell not get married. Currently 6125 words, estimated 10000 words complete.
Counting the one I finished yesterday, that's 19674 words written, 21656 to go, 41300 words of finished fic for the month. Totally doable, right? With the one I finished yesterday I'm almost halfway there already and it's only the second day!!
Current Music:: sweet dreams are made of these
Current Mood:: ambitious
|September 21st, 2014 11:54 am|
I am going to make one more attempt at triaging my incredibly-backed-up-because-I've-been-ignoring-it email, and then I'm taking a week-long holiday from the internet. Don't break the place while I'm gone!
(Hopefully I will be back just before yuletide noms end. If not, somebody make sure that Number Munchers and Young Avengers and the Asher novels get nominated. ^_^)
|September 16th, 2014 10:18 pm - Let's talk about books!|
I made my "read 100 books in a year" challenge last week! I've been tracking it on Goodreads, because I'm finding it a lot easier to track reading separately from tracking ownership, but I imported the first hundred to LibraryThing because LibraryThing is still just a much more powerful database, so you can see them all under my Read 2014 tag
. I've been reviewing them on Goodreads as I go, when I can, but if you would like me to blather at you in comments about any of the books on that list, here is your chance. :P
I've also been keeping an actual to-read list for the first time ever. I only started it a couple weeks ago, and it only includes media that are available at the library where I work, and it hit 100 items today. (Don't ever work at a library if you want to keep your to-read lists under control.) It's under the cut. If you would like to blather at me in a comment about any of these, here is your chance! (But don't count on me getting around to reading them anytime soon. This just the "check out from library" list. It doesn't include the 50-book-high to-read pile at home, or the 21 books in the 'currently reading' list, or the shelf of withdrawn books I want to read before I sell them on, or----) It also only includes things I've never read/watched/listened to before, and it has a lot of cases where one item is a stand-in for a whole series....( 100 to-read, to-listen, or to-watch items )
...you get bonus points if you can guess which fandom/writing project inspired any of the nonfiction ones. <_<
|September 12th, 2014 06:38 pm|
So I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy in a Friday afternoon matinee. It was a very fun and very very pretty movie and the plot even mostly made sense, which is a sadly high standard to hold action movies to these days, but sadly I can no longer watch a movie without noticing all the times it takes the lazy way out and could have done better. (Note : never read "Save The Cat" if you want to be able to enjoy an action movie ever again.) Anybody still interested in talking about that movie? ( v. minor spoilers )
|September 9th, 2014 05:46 pm - Happiness|
There's a "List Ten Things That Make You Happy" meme going around Tumblr, and since:
a) I would like to see the meme here on DW instead,
b) I am just coming out of an *amazingly* awful week or so (totaling the car was not the worst thing that happened, if that gives you a benchmark...)
c) but it's over! and nothign terrible has happened for AT LEAST three days, and also I'm at the point in my cycle where I get a random mood lift to compensate for the cramps,
d) and I finally bucked up and made the phone calls necessary to book a WEEK IN A 1930s BEACH CABIN at the end of the month, which I have only wanted to do for twenty years, so my brain is full of BEACH CABIN IN AUTUMN;
Here are ten things that make me happy in no particular order:
1. Long walks on a wild beach.
2. The kind of weather where it's cool but not yet cold, and cloudy, and just windy enough to not be stuffy, and everything seems to have agreed to hush, just for a day, because every noise feels like an unnecessary disruption of the peace.
3. Driving around on empty roads at night listening to the kind of music that sounds like molasses would, so that it seems like you and the singer are two observers outside the world.
4. Sitting in the hammock chair on the screened-in porch during a storm.
5. Afternoon naps in the sun.
6. Popular nonfiction books from the early 20th century where the authors assume that every reader is smart enough, and skilled enough, and hungry enough, and fearless enough, to follow along as far as the author wants to take them.
7. Warm and snuggly creatures.
8. Making something and knowing that what I made is good, and beautiful, and useful.
9. Practicing a new skill when I'm still bad enough at it that I can see the massive improvement after every session.
10. Getting up early to see the dawn come in, when only the early birds are around to keep me company and I can see the light creep in through the trees, and then knowing I can go back to sleep afterward and sleep as long as I want.
..um, and I normally don't tag people on these because of my deep anxiety that people will think I don't like them enough, but I do want it to spread, and I love you *all*, so, uh, I tag everyone who hasn't done it yet. ^_^
Current Mood:: happy
|August 10th, 2014 07:59 pm - Camping Weekend in Review|
|July 29th, 2014 07:59 pm|
1. The sheet music offer is still open to people in my circles, since I didn't exactly get overloaded with requests. (and I haven't gotten around to putting the scanner away yet.)
2. The reason I haven't posted anything substantial here since con.txt is... *drumroll* .... I am feeling guilty about not doing the con-txt followup I said I should do. So if there's something I told you I would do at/after con-txt and I haven't done it yet, pls poke me again? Either I've forgotten or I've been marinating in procrastinator's guilt and need somebody to kick me in the reset button.
3. So I finally watched Pacific Rim! It came in at the library, and people were still excited about it at con-txt, and also I acquired this DVD projector I wanted to test, so we watched it projected on a sheet taped up to the screen porch, because that seems like the right way to watch a movie like that. (Then I watched it on my laptop so I could actually catch the details. Like Raleigh's drivesuit scars that there is NO FANFIC AT ALL ABOUT, wtf fandom.)
Anyway not going to bother with a spoiler cut since it's a year old and I'm not discussing plots, but here are my thoughts:
Both the worldbuilding and the plot are 100% incoherent, the giant monster fights were okay but I kept getting distracted from the awesome by trying and failing to make them make sense, they really really really dropped the ball on diversity otherwise even though Idris Elba is amazing and Mako is also amazing, but don't let anyone tell you her story was groundbreaking, it's pretty standard and it's mostly about the men in her life.
This will probably remain a favorite of mine, because it is approx. 0% heterosexuality by weight. And that doesn't mean it's particularly queer either - there's just no portrayal of sexuality in it at all. This is a movie where you can easily argue that not only all the protagonists, but also the entire society, is asexual and aromantic.
And for a movie that is almost entirely about close, intense relationships, that's astonishing - but all the relationships, from Newt and Hermann's working partnership, to the various family relationships, to Mako and Raleigh's adorable bffs-at-first-sight, this is a movie that glorifies the nonromantic and nonsexual to the extent that it seems to forget that romantic and sexual exist. Other than one line in a flashback where a tertiary character casually mentions a semi-successful date, there's nothing - no offhand attempts to establish the heroes' het cred, no background advertisements selling sex, no casual references to attractiveness, not even any mentions of, like, people having parents who were a couple, that I can recall. (Even the Kaidonovskys, iirc, aren't mentioned as a couple in the movie canon, and don't interact in any blatantly romantic ways - taking the movie as a standalone, they could be, you know, cousins.)
And that was - it was so restful, you can't even imagine. Finally a movie that felt like home, it was so great.
..so then I went back to the fanfic and of course it's like 90% shipping by weight. I know I almost always end up dissatisfied with the shippy fic once I watch canon, but in this case it left me ... itchy, probably because of the way the canon just felt so comfortable in its total lack of shipping and sexuality.
So I read some of the Newt/Hermann fic I'd been saving until I saw the movie, and it still did what Newt/Hermann fandom does so well - body mods, soulbonding, relationships with long histories, social maladjustment, disability, extremely smart people who like showing off, competence porn, snark hiding affection, xenophilia, unconventional domesticity, weird telepathy stuff, people two feet beyond the end of their rope who can't even remember how to fall, etc. -- all things I like in a pairing, and it left me deeply unsatisfied.
So then I checked out the novelization because I'd heard it was good and it seemed like it might be what I wanted in terms of More Of Canon, but I still get too antsy to have gotten very far, because something in me knows exactly what I wanted out of Pac Rim fandom, and that's not it.
So finally I sat down and asked myself, okay, what is it you do want out of this fandom that you're not getting?
I want some fanfic that's novel-length, about the doomed, hotshot pilots who risk their lives fighting to protect the defenseless, in the last days of the Resistance, with an aesthetic of abandoned WWII bunker + neon and tattoos + sweeping vistas + SF technology taken for granted, in a war where the stakes are so high that entire planetary ecologies are just minor collateral damage, and a society's been torn apart so long that nobody hasn't lost something, heart and home. With a cast that's blatantly, in-your-face diverse on a bunch of axes, dealing with disabilities and scars both mental and physical and loss after loss of loved ones, but resilient and idealistic despite that, drinking their pain away in makeshift dive bars deep in massive, hastily-assembled military installations. Most of the important relationships aren't romantic, and there's lots of stuff with organized crime intersecting the resistance, plus aliens and robots and maybe some poorly explained psi powers.
..and then I went "oh crap, I know what that is" and started re-reading the X-Wing novels instead.
So there's that.
I did start a Newt/Hermann fic where one of the side effects of Drifting is that you are no longer neurologically capable of finding your Drift partner sexually attractive - because that's the other thing that I *definitely* wanted out of this fandom - but even odds now if I'll finish that before I finish the one about Master Pentecost and his motley band of Jedi Pilot trainees and washouts, one last holdout on the Planet of the Kaiju in the decades after the clone wars, and how former Knight Beckett showed Mako Mori the way to her Jedi trials.
(The X-Wing novels hold up surprisingly well, better than I feared! I'm noticing some of the really awful stuff with how the universe handles aliens-as-metaphor-for-race more now that I did fifteen years ago, but the X-Wing novels try really hard to give you real diversity anyway, even if you do know that one of the nonhuman female pilots is always going to die first.)
|July 27th, 2014 09:09 pm - Music|
I have my scanner out tonight.
I have also put all of the sheet music I own*
into a spreadsheet, so here is your limited-time offer: until I
go to sleep tonight,
get tired of messing with it, anybody who wants can request one song off that list and I will scan it for them. Enjoy!Sheet Music Index
I suggest using full-text search if you want to find a certain song, there's almost 4000 entries in the list. It's heavily skewed toward old standards/broadway and pop/folk music from 1979 and before, because that's what you get when you shop at yard sales for it. Highlights include: a bunch of "buy war bonds!" sheet music from the early '40s, the complete Tom Lehrer collection, Donald Swann's settings of the songs of Tolkien.
...no I am not good enough to play most of this. I am a ridiculous person.
Requests uploaded so far: I Got RhythmThe Sound of Silence*
that's not actually all of it, I haven't put in some of the fake books or the any of the hymnal collection yet. or any of the stuff printed off the internet. or most of the stuff in the lesson books, or most of the clarinet/sax/flute/organ music. but it's most of it.
|July 2nd, 2014 10:55 am|
I spent basically all of my day off yesterday either sleeping or waking up from sleeping because of headache and sore throat, so that was great, my immune system continues to time things so I'm only sick on days I already don't work. :P (I was considering calling in today, if only so I don't wind up in a paroxysm of anxiety over calling in on the day when I'm really really sick
, but I'm somewhat better today and also work has air conditioning unlike home, so I guess I'm going in.)
Anyway, happy Second Half of Year, everyone! July 2nd isn't too early to be planning for Yuletide, right? Here are my current plans for yuletide requests (somebody come talk about these in comments with me....)Fandom: Young Avengers (2013)
(If it makes yuletide quals....)Characters: America Chavez, Kid!Loki
Requests: I would like a story where America punches Loki in the face a lot and they both enjoy it, please. Sex optional (if sex, f/f America/Loki greatly appreciated), punchings required (kicking also okay.)Fandom: Number Munchers
(the original continuity, I never got into the remakes.)Characters: Muncher, Troggles
Requests: Something about the Munchers being UTTER SMUG gits to the Troggles, please. Take your inspiration from the great moments in history, only make it personal. And with more maths. (Human AU where they are all genius mathematicians competing to solve an important problem and they all hate muncher dude is also a-ok.)Fandom: The Asher Novels - Barbara HamblyCharacters: Any
Requests: I would like the story where James and Lydia finally realize that their thing with Simon isn't Simon and Lydia being in love and James being weirdly okay with it, it's Simon being in love with James and Lydia and vice versa, and Simon being "about time you two noticed". (There was even a bit in the Book of the Kindred of Darkness about how when vampires get involved with couples they usually go for both sides of the triangle, idk how Lydia didn't make the connection!)
Alternatively I would like something set during the Great War where James has been called back into intelligence work and is thrown among not just the human war but all the vampires of Europe fighting to survive a war unlike any they have seen before.
Also I would like a story about Simon and Grippen, at any point in their long history together, hunting together in the way vampires hunt together. Alternatively really anything that explores Grippen's feelings about Simon!
Also I would like a story about Lydia's aunts and stepmother finally getting what is coming to them. Say, a story about Grippen deciding to target Lydia's stepmom would be kind of wonderful, wouldn't it?
Basically these stories only have 13 fics on AO3 and that is a crime and a travesty they should have ALL the fanworks.( Let me tell you about Barbara Hambly's vampire novels. (very minor spoilers.) )
|June 12th, 2014 10:07 am - Ten Simple Ways To Get More Attention For Your Fanwork|
I am still not ready for con.txt, so here is a completely unrelated thing that I clearly needed to finish RIGHT NOW.
Ten Simple Ways To Get More Attention For Your Fanwork
(On AO3 and Elsewhere)
I figured I should share these since it took me a long time to figure some of them out. A few caveats before we start:
A few caveats:
1. Some of these are AO3-specific (but can be adapted elsewhere), some of them are pretty universal.
2. I said "simple", not "easy".
3. These techniques help to get work that is in the competent-to-good range, if you're lucky, solidly into the midlist when it comes to hits and kudos. They will not make you the most popular person in the fandom.
4. If the work is bad
(poor grammar and spelling, no character logic at all, etc.), even this won't help. If your work is super-excellent, these will probably work as well as they do for competent-to-good stuff.
5. This is written from the deliberately cynical perspective that one's primary goal in fandom is maximum positive attention. There are other reasons to do fanwork, probably better reasons, as evidenced by the fact that I personally don't bother with most of these things most of the time.
6. Overdoing any of these may backfire spectacularly.
7. Results not guaranteed.( 1. Post Early )( 2. Post Often )( 3. Answer all your reviews )( 4. Talk to people. )( 5. Bring in shills )( 6. Tag for popular pairings, fandoms, and characters at the least excuse )( 7. Tag Lots. )( 8. Put the main character's name in the title )( 9. Craft your summary carefully )( 10. Find your niche and stick a flag in it. )
"If you know all these good strategies, melannen
", you cry, "Why aren't you getting way more kudos than you are?"
"Because I'm lazy and I hate doing them," I say. "Also I decided that getting four or five kudos every single day was enough to keep me in buttpats with minumum effort, and I seem to have already managed that by accidentally doing 1, 4, 6, and 8 a few times. Lazy and midlist is where I've hung my hammock. You should try it."
|June 11th, 2014 10:24 pm - Les Mis at Con.txt|
The Les Mis panel didn't make it in. So... if I unilaterally declared a Les Mis Room Party on Friday night at con.txt, starting about 10:00 or so to give people time to disco first, would anybody come...?
(DC-area Mis people who aren't going to con.txt would also be welcome, they would just have to call my cell to get let into the elevator.)
I figure I will buy a wheel of brie, a can of oysters, a loaf of French bread, and some cheap wine, and if nobody comes, I can sit there by myself getting lonely-drunk, listening to On My Own on repeat and writing Sad Grantaire fic. Which is also a valid Les Mis party if you think about it.
(no, I am not ready for my panels yet. shush. or else give me more help in my plz help post. :P)
|June 7th, 2014 11:14 am|
oh man oh man oh man con.txt is in less than a week how did that happen
1: I still have space in my hotel room if anyone decides to come at the last minute and wants a spot to crash, at this point you can just crash in my room to make me feel less lonely. :P
2: I am running or co-running three panels. Guess how many I have prepped for? NONE.
It would be really, really lovely if my reading list would do my panel prep work for me. :D
Slash Through the Ages: Which is to say, homoerotic transformative works from before the late 1960s. So far I have a dirty limerick about Enjolras/Grantaire and... some vague memories of other stuff. Sadly, I'm not going to be doing proper research for this because proper research would probably involve, like, a doctoral thesis and research trips to the British Library. BUT!
If anyone has any links to meta or sources about m/m (or f/f or other)-fic-and-art before Star Trek, I would really, really love you if you shared them.
Second, could everybody tell me their favorite m/m or f/f or genderqueer pairing(s) from canon that predates Star Trek? It would at least give me a starting place!
How To Put Fandom on Your Resume Without Putting Fandom on Your Resume I'm going to be making copies of my current resume (suitably redacted!) which is full of fandom references, to use as an example. Does anybody else have a resume with fandom-related stuff on it (it could be anything from, like, running a 10,000 attendee con, to selling stuff on Etsy, to "familiar with Tumblr") that they would be willing to share?
ETA: I'm also, per request, looking for ways to leverage fandom experience on an academic CV, especially in disciplines other than fan studies.
And second, anybody have links to useful, fannish-community-literate jobhunting resources of any kind?
Making Story Happen Oh ye gods and little apples, it would be helpful if, like, I could actually write stuff, before I attempt this panel. Um.
Does anyone have links to you favorite how-to-write meta, blogs, or resources?
Can you share with me the specific how-to-write quandary you'd most like to get help with - anything from "how to get a beta" to "how to write a summary" to "how do plot"?
3. As usual, there are about thirty-five panels on the list that I'd like to attend, which is problematic, because there are only seventeen panel slots. I hope nobody expects to ever see me outside the panel rooms. And I'm probably going to attempt an ad-hoc Les Mis one. (Of course, ten of them are panels I nominated or egged someone else into nominating. I should probably stop doing that.)
|May 27th, 2014 06:16 pm - How to graph the spread of a Tumblr post|
A while back, I posted a graph on Tumblr illustrating the spread
of my most popular post ever
via reblogs (it's currently at almost 4500 notes, which is just weird. why
Several people have asked for instructions on how to do the reblog graph, so here they are. I realize this is a post that's all about tumblr but I'm posting on DW. That's because while Tumblr is *great* for virality, I still refuse to use it for long or complicated text posts, at which it is terrible.
This isn't necessarily the best way, but it's the way I can do it at work, with no expertise, without downloading any software. (If you want to play with really powerful network graphs, download the open source package Gephi
- as a bonus its sample data set is a network chart of Les Miserables characters!) But Gephi is hard. Here's how to do it with just Notepad, Paint, and Google.
As my example, I decided to use a post from someone who is authentically popular on the internet, unlike me - friend and artist Kevin Bolk
of Interrobang Studios
. Specifically, his Sexy Astrophysicists Art Card Set
(As of a mid-April 2014 when I started writing this post). I've made the Google Fusion link public if you want to play without starting from scratch: kbonetwork
Here's how to start from scratch:( Step I: Acquire and clean the data )( Step II:Make a spreadsheet )( Step III: Load the data into Fusion Tables )( Step IV: Make the graph )( Step V: Share )
If you try this and have issues, drop a comment to this post, and I'll do my best to answer.
|May 21st, 2014 10:50 pm - Con-txt stuff|
1. I just panicked and booked a room for con-txt. I appear to have a) been too late to get the con rate, but b) have gotten a lower price than the con rate anyway?
IDK hotel booking confuses me, I have no idea if I'm in the con block or not, but I do appear to have reserved a room with two double beds in the con hotel. If anybody is planning to go and also has not booked a room, pm or email me or comment and we can work something out. plz. (We could split it several ways, presumably, if people are okay with sharing double beds.) I am a very accommodating roommate and can basically adapt to whatever sort of roommate you would like to be.
2. Also I am moderating panels! (SURPRISE.)
Is anybody going to con-txt and interested in co-modding a panel about slash before the modern slash era? Stuff like Victorian Holmes/Watson and the shipwars over whether Alexander or Hephaistion topped. Basically if it involves a) transformative works and b) m/m or f/f pairings. Am looking for a co-mod.
Is anybody, uh, not going to con-text but interested in helping me do research for that panel? Because I am not going to have time to do the research it deserves, that's for sure.
And would anybody like to co-mod a panel on nuts-and-bolts writing skills? I'm planning to do that one pretty freestyle too, so it wouldn't be that difficult to co-mod...?
3. There are also a few other panels that, last I saw, were <a href="http://con-txt.dreamwidth.org/25989.html?nc=4&style=mine#comments>still looking for moderators!</a> If you're going to the con and any of those sound like your kind of thing, you should offer! Modding con-txt panels is <i>really easy</i>. You just say hi to a room with a dozen or so fangirls in it, and then talk about your favorite topics until somebody makes you stop. Basically.
|May 13th, 2014 10:44 pm - Menstrual Symptoms|
I was talking to a friend recently about how none of the places that supposedly give you "straight talk on sex and female bodies" actually seem to have an accurate, comprehensive list of menstrual symptoms.
As a teenager I read a lot of that stuff, but I didn't have any female friends I was close enough to talk about it with - I was halfway going by Heinlein's "real women don't have PMS", because it was clear none of the "my body" books were describing my body
in that respect - and as a result it wasn't until I joined a tmi-focused lj community that I started to realize that the things my body was doing were things other people's bodies do, too. Sadly, that community has died down a lot with the exodus from lj and I haven't found a good replacement yet.
But as a service to humanity, here is a list of things that I know for a fact are regular menstrual or pre-menstrual symptoms for more than one person who menstruates, not a symptom of any particular disorder or any problem beyond "having a healthy uterus". If you know of ones I've missed, feel free to suggest them in the comments and I'll add them to the end of the post! Anon is turned on.( Cut for TMI )
Most people only have a small proportion of those at any one time - thank all the gods there are - but if you experience any of them, just know you're not alone. And that it's normal for which ones you experience to change over time.
Just for fun, I've made this a poll, so if you want to register which ones you've experienced at some point in your life, you can!
And then ask why evolution ever though it was a good idea do make us go through that every month
, instead of once a year, like more sensible species. (On the plus side, at least we don't have deal with male hormones, which fluctuate unpredictably ALL THE TIME. Poor delicate males.)
|April 26th, 2014 02:29 pm|stellar_dust
came home for the holiday last weekend!
So Friday we went to meet some friends for dinner in DC after work. Saturday, we went out to lunch, went window-shopping for garden plants, and then I had an OTW meeting in chat. Sunday we went to the Easter service, then did dinner and egg-hunting at my aunt and uncle's, then came home and watched Cosmos. Monday I worked; I thought we were going to go do Interrobang Studios work in the evening, but it was cancelled, so instead we put on Neil deGrasse Tyson's podcast and played SolarQuest for about four hours accidentally (SoloarQuest turns out to be way more fun than an elderly Monopoly variant about prospecting the solar system deserves to be, even if I did keep getting stuck on %$& Triton with no launch fuel left.)
Then on Tuesday morning we met up with old family friends for brunch before I had to go to work, and then a class at the community college that led to me getting home even later than usual.
I don't remember Wednesday at all. Presumably I did something other than work. Thursday I did a whole shift at work and then went to see Captain America with internet people again (no regrets!) and then Friday, which was a day off, I helped mop the floors at church, went out to lunch with family friends again, took a nap and then made up the interrobang studios workday. Oh, also got a passport photo taken for a trip out of the country that might happen soon if I get it together in time, and tried to give myself Bucky feels
Today I'm at work again. I plan to go home and do absolutely nothing until Monday morning. (This isn't going to work because there's a week's worth of backlogged chores waiting but I will TRY MY DARNDEST.)