|May 16th, 2012 11:49 pm - Meme Fills Update|
...okay, that hypothetical crossover meme has reached levels of ludicrosity previously unattained on this journal.
Here is a list of fills so far:Dresden Files/Vorkosigan Saga
(consisting of some extra bits of canon for the crossover I already wrote for this.)Temeraire/Princess Bride ideas
for finchPinkwaterverse/Cthulhu mythos
(in which I fail miserably; surely *somebody* can come up with a better one?)
does Major League Baseball/The pirate Rabbi and Thor/Star Trek to my promptsWhite Collar/Pirates of the Caribbean
and DCU/The Lone Gunmen
. (Somebody needs to write a pirates/white collar crossover actually. Desperately. Also need fic now where Frohike tangos with Barbara Gordon, but that's a given.)some flailing as regards Temeraire/Sherlock Holmes
for ellen_fremedonBritish Comedian RPF/Vorkogisan Saga
(This one got kind of out of hand after lannamichaels
tapped in. It probably helps to note that we were borrowing some of the characterization from a previous conversation regarding Aral Vorkosigan, Epic Troll
. Also: this article on how traditional Chinese stand-up has fared under communism
which I incidentally already had bookmarked, yes I did background research for this bit.) marginaliana
asked for a British Comedy RPF crossover and I'm afraid in the elaboration we focused almost entirely on the Barrayar part, but I promise if I actually wrote it there would be a bunch of scenes of David and Charlie and Jimmy and Dara and so on meeting in hidden, poorly-lit back rooms at the university and playing at revolution.Avengers/Sesame Street
. An excuse to write fic for the Teeny Little Super Guy! Yay!Homestuck/Colbert Report
, featuring unbridgeable idealogical differences. And stabs. Mostly stabs.Homestuck/Vorkosigan Saga
. In which there are fantrolls.Homestuck/Ranma 1/2
, featuring brownbetty
contributing their own versions as well, which we must encourage them to write. yes.
Unfilled, still to do (list mostly for my reminder):
Avengers/Young Wizards and Vorkosigan/Avengers (I really need to watch that movie, I guess)
Something Sutcliff/Rihannsu-ish (Every time I poke at this I just come out concluding I need to re-read Rihannsu more. Tragic!)
This is actually an interesting way to find out what fandoms my commenters care about! Avengers yes (kind of obviously) but there's lots of Vorkosigan and Homestuck and Temeraire on there too, hmm.
And yes, I will still fill prompts if people leave them. Not crossovered out yet!
And as usual, all bunnies and notfic posted by me here are completely available for other people to pick up and run with, if you should chance to be so inspired.
|March 29th, 2011 01:37 pm - This is what the inside of my head is like all the time.|
List of fic I am not currently writing, no, absolutely not:
"Four times it wasn't Harry, and one time it was":
1. Wherein Herewiss s'Hearn and Sunspark go through a Door looking for other men who have the Fire, and meet Harry Dresden and Bob the Air Elemental instead, and there is a lot of playing around with Soulfire/Flame and annoying of Wardens and Wardresses (and possibly setting buildings on fire. Or sex.)
2. Wherein Howell Jenkins is trying to visit Wales but winds up somewhere under Edinburgh instead, and gets help from a certain Warden in staying under the Council's radar.
3. Wherein Har of Osterland, searching for a rumor of a shadow of Suth, instead meets a strange wizard of winter's ice in the Northern Wastes and plays a riddle-game with him.
4. Wherein the enchanter Sir Harold Shea is visiting Queen Mab and Queen Titania as an emissary of Queen Gloriana, and provides a much-needed dose of scientific rationality and clinical psychiatry to everyone involved.
5. Wherein Harry Callahan is never letting Dairine do a transit spell for him ever again, Ways are walked, and parenting advice is exchanged.
"Five More Days In Paradise"
1. In which Kincaid and Murphy visit Hawaii on a working holiday, and bring Ivy along this time. Lots of things blow up, Detective Kelly remembers their last visit all too well, and Ivy makes a new friend and gets to swim with the dolphins.
2. In which Joe Dawson and Adam Pierson came to Hawaii for a quiet retirement, which seems slightly at odds with the mysterious headless bodies and localized lightning storms that 5-0 keeps hearing reported on their private beach.
3. In which Danny Williams refuses to believe there is a full-rigged pirate ship just offshore, even after Captain Jack Sparrow shanghais him onboard. (Well, for definitions of "shanghai" that involve Steve, flirting and a lot of rum.)
4. In which Danny is uncertain why it is 5-0 who are explaining why they're in Hawaii to a couple of Canadian cops, but the phrase "killers of his father" gets bandied around a lot.
5. In which Superboy meets Steve McGarrett. And territorial displays happen.
...on the plus side, I seem to be mostly out of my all-RPF phase for now.
|November 12th, 2010 05:58 pm - love, awesome, and sparkles|
1. I refuse to write, or post, or even start, a dear yuletide letter when nominations aren't even open yet. Sorry! (Well, I did do the relevant astronomical calculations, but that doesn't count.)
I have gone through and figured out what I'm offering, though. Since the time is significantly shorter this year, I decided I'm only offering fandoms that make me go "Ooh, yes! I want an excuse to reread/rewatch that in a hurry!" (as opposed to the usual criterion, which is "Ooh, I wish that had more fic, I bet I could acquire canon by the deadline." As a result, I'm only offering somewhere around 115 fandoms this time (depending on how the final list handles duplicates.)
2. A couple of days ago I got my sign-ups and induction stuff to be an AO3 tag wrangler. Which, yay? But I thought they weren't signing anyone up until after yuletide? And in fact wrangling is closed until after yuletide? So other than read through the docs, I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing
about my new tag wrangler status. Other than continuing to lurk the chatroom, obvs. (Oh, AO3, your communication skills at the moment are so inspiring.)
3. I don't know how helpful this will be, but the long-running rift between two segments of fandom (with other segments chiming in from the sidelines) which has suddenly broken off the scabs and started bleeding again, hurts. I see it in a split down fandom communities; down my own circle of friends; and down my own self. So, I want to do this, if only for myself; and I would love to see other people do it, too; I don't know if it will help heal the rift, but it might help some of us across it.
I am a fan, I am a geek. I have always been. You may, reading this journal or my comments, get the impression that I am a slash fan and/or a media fan - and I will admit, my primary allegiance is to that community. But that's not all
I am. That is the last, and in some ways the least, of my fannish IDs. What else am I? Well, in roughly chronological order:( I am a fan of genre fiction. )( I am a math, science, and tech geek. )( I am a science fiction fan. )( I am a comics fan. )( I am an anime/manga fan. )( I am a media fan and a slash fan. )
...wow, I totally didn't intend that to be the effect, but I am kind of filled with love and awesome and sparkles now after writing that. Love and awesome and sparkles to all fans everywhere, regardless of what kind of fans you are!
|July 20th, 2008 02:44 am - How the new Batman movie should have ended.|( spoilers, obviously. )
Other than that, the only thing wrong with the movie was too many action scenes, and too little Bruce Wayne hanging around in jeans and a Henley, snarking at Alfred and doing engineer-y and CEO-y stuff. So I should probably just go see Iron Man already.
Also someone needs to come up with an excuse to get Lucius Fox in an Iron Man suit.
And Katie Holmes looks way too much like Princess Leia.
|November 14th, 2007 07:32 pm|
In exchange for killing my back carrying longboxes on Monday, I am now in possession of "Diana Prince: Wonder Woman #202", featuring the white jumpsuit and Catwoman, written by Samuel R. Delany and guest-starring Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.
I can't decide which part of that sentence is awesomest, there is so much awesome in it.
(I also pulled out #203 while I was at it, because it is a "special women's lib issue". I tremble in anticipation.)
Will I post scans? I don't know! Do you know? Maybe I will liveblog it as I read!
|September 13th, 2007 11:37 pm - Spoiler Alert!|
...yeah, so dryponder
is running another superhero redesign meme. This time, it's Stephanie Brown
I actually did an extensive redesign back in the day, in which I based a new Spoiler costume on what *I'd* wear if I were a DCU superheroine: a costume where nobody can tell you're female, and therefore won't rape you with a power drill in order to be 'edgy'. But after a year or more lurking around Girl-Wonder
, I wanted to do something more girl-positive. And less angry.( So, moar art: two small png images under cut. )
Current Music:: Ms. Dynamite - Sick 'n' Tired
|September 5th, 2007 11:34 pm - ART|
So I got a Wacom tablet this spring, and recently I started actually trying out some of the features in GIMP that are awesome with a tablet, like the inking tool and quickmask, instead of just using the same old tools I'd started with six years ago. And I've been practicing with old files because I really want to be able to do nice-looking fanart, now that I can't blame it on my tools.
So, here's a (more-or-less) finished piece on the tablet. It's inked, colored, and lettered on computer, but it was done over a scan of the pencil drawing that I originally did for Project Rooftop
's Draw Supergirl thing.
Yeah. That long ago. That's how long it generally takes me to finish a fanwork. (On the other hand, finished fanwork! Yay! That's rare, for me.)( Supergirl redesign )
|June 7th, 2007 09:36 pm|
Secret Minion of Starro the Conqueror yesno?
(I knew I recognized face!starfish from somewhere!)
|March 16th, 2006 11:09 pm - Highlander and Batman: Two Great Tastes that Go Great Together!|
This is the Highlander The Series / Batman-between-the-crises amalgamverse crossover genfic. About 3500 words and in need of some fact-checking still, but otherwise done. Until I start another section.( Observe and Record: In Which Timothy Drake is given his first field Watcher assignment, and Adam Pierson has a conversation with Mr. Tall-Dark-and-Broody that doesn't end in drawn swords. Quite. )