|July 25th, 2012 04:42 pm - oldest fandom, newest fandom|
While my sister was here, we went through and cleaned out a lot more of the Star Wars junk, so all that's left now fits on and around one bookshelf. (The junk we cleaned out is now sitting on the back porch, while we figure out what to do with it. I was in favor of just emailing the Star Toys museum
about another mass donation, but sister wanted to see if anything was worth trying to sell, and meanwhile I'm trying to decide if I can bear to open all the mint-in-box action figures so I can play with them (and store them better), or just donate/sell them as mint in box, and also trying to convince our cousins to take it all.
...so uh anybody want any Star Wars junk?)
My sister gave me a list of the books we have that I haven't read that I should, starting with Jedi Apprentice, so I started with those.
You guys. Jedi Apprentice. I know that I've previously been told, when asked why Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan blew up into a giant fandom, that the reason was Jedi Apprentice, but somehow I was still assuming that most of it came from the fandom. NOT SO MUCH.( Destiny! Soulbound! )
What I am saying is that these books are very silly, and I can't find any Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan on the AO3 that is quite as gay as them.
I also had some crochet I needed to get done, so I decided to start watching Community. It is you guys's fault. Yes, you. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, Community
I am watching in silly mixed-up order, starting with the five legal free online streaming episodes (all from later in S3) and then at the beginning of S2. (since I have already read ALL THE FIC - and wow, Community people, that didn't take long, get on the ball there - and been to the con-txt panels, and been subjected to many people discussing it - I had already been spoiled, so that seemed like a good order to go in.) I'm about a third of the way through S2 now. Here are my comments:
1. JSYK, if somebody had told me
that John Oliver had a brilliant recurring guest role on this show, I probably would have started watching two years ago. :P( some more things that surprised me )
(There is nothing in the above about Troy and Abed and the general geek-friendliness and Annie and Britta and Pierce and Shirley and the Dean and postomdern magical realism and the episodes themselves and etc. because the fandom did prepare me adequately for how awesome all of that is. Yay!)
Oh, so the last part of the Avengers-are-geeks fic went up on AO3 a few days ago, and so did that not!fic I posted on here a few months back, The One Where Tony Stark And Princess Leia Hook Up
, since I was writing about Avengers and Star Wars anyway.
My writing has been going interesting places this year! I signed up for inkingitout
with a wordcount total for the year, and it's the last half of July and I'm actually ahead by a comfortable margin!
The main thing I am learning about my writing is that writing hard things is hard, and writing silly crossovers is easy. So while I have a bunch of Hard Things that I am still pounding away at (including the Avengers fics I was talking about at con-txt, and some Homestuck things, and the next bit of the October megacrossover, and a couple of DF WIPs, yes, before you ask), it makes it easier if I am working on something silly at the same time, to turn to when all writing seems a pit of despair and failure.
Unfortunately once I let myself decide that I immediately got overrun with silly crossovers, so I need you guys to help me out.
Open to: All, detailed results viewable to: All, participants: 29
Which crossover that I have started in the last couple weeks should I focus on finishing next?
...okay, I'll be honest, regardless of the poll, it's probably going to be the Avengers/Star Wars one, if only because it only needs about five hundred more words of snappy dialogue for a complete first draft. Unfortunately, despite being a silly crossover, I am filled with angst about what to do with it then.( Completion and pairings )
(While I was working on this lettered
wrote a much more coherent post on the topic of pairing tags
, which covers the same ground, you should go read that instead.)
|June 25th, 2012 12:30 pm - This post appears to be mostly about poly. HMM.|
First, two general notes:
My laptop power cord/socket have reached the point of non-working that it's generating more heat than power, so in the interest of not setting another motherboard on fire, I am going to be opening it up this afternoon and attempting to replace the parts. I have never sucessfully soldered on a motherboard before, so if I unexpectedly go silent, it is probably because I have melted my laptop, jsyk.
Also, I will be going to Boston at the end of this week, and then bringing stellar_dust
and her cats (and all of her stuff) back to Maryland after. Any Boston people want to hang out or go see Avengers again or anything? :P I'll be free... um, Friday. I will even have a car and everything this time!
Five slightly more interesting things:
1. I fixed my radio yesterday (the power of rubber bands!) and turned it on just in time to discover that Jim Packard had died. ): The world of radio quiz comedy shows has lost a luminary. (I had to change the channel while I was waiting for the radio to wind down, I couldn't take listening to Michael Feldman trying not to cry anymore.)
2. I have read Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, courtesy of a very kind person who loaned me a copy of the e-ARC! It is ( general, but no specific, spoilers )
3. Oh and speaking of writers who should definitely keep listening to the fans, one of the ways I know that I have assembled a very good network here is that when I go to my network page, I always find interesting things based on what you all are reading. Yesterday, I learned that dduane ships Nita/Kit/Ronan
DIANE DUANE HOW ARE YOU SO AWESOME. (not going to follow her tumblr though, tumblr still scares me.)
/me continues to believe that bit at the end of Spock's World where Spock and McCoy head off to bed and ask if Kirk is joining them really was intended to be what it sounds like.
4. Speaking of poly ships, somebody at the poly panel at con.txt (I think it was viklikesfic
) recommended the Polyamory Weekly podcast
as a good source for people writing poly fic who wanted to learn more about the ways people do poly in RL, and I've started listening to it, and really enjoying it.
It's exactly what I wanted - not advice or how-tos, but a glimpse inside a wide cross-section of the poly community - because when I think about poly fic, I often want to write people who identify as poly, and not write them in ways that would make poly people cringe; but all the people whose poly lives I know anything about are in fandom, which might skew things a little. Poly Weekly give me that! And "from a kink-friendly, pansexual point of view" which is even better.
Anyway, highly recommended, and it has me thinking about poly ships in fandom, and that one of the reasons I like explicitly poly fic (and in a different way than plain OT3/OTTeam fic) is that to be good at polyamory, you are expected to communicate openly with your partners, to be self-aware and responsible for your own feelings and needs, to be adult and compassionate, to think in terms of networks of many kinds of important relationships instead of One Person Who Matters.
Because yes. Yes please to all of that. And you don't have to be poly to have that, but you have to have most of that to make poly work.
...which on the surface makes it kind of hilarious that I am having so many ( polyamory *feelings* about Avengers )
5. Oh and speaking of stuff from con.txt, I posted about the QUILTBAG
on the new contxt_lounge
community. I was going to post a general crafting update here that included all that, but just the QUILTBAG part got way too long, so I threw it up there instead.
Also included in that post is the current draft of the Dalekling crochet pattern from two years ago, if anyone was still waiting for that. :P
Here's the photo and basic description, copied from that post:( QUILTBAG )( Also here is a picture of me in the Sufferer cloak I altered for con.txt )
|May 16th, 2012 11:49 pm - Meme Fills Update|
...okay, that hypothetical crossover meme has reached levels of ludicrosity previously unattained on this journal.
Here is a list of fills so far:Dresden Files/Vorkosigan Saga
(consisting of some extra bits of canon for the crossover I already wrote for this.)Temeraire/Princess Bride ideas
for finchPinkwaterverse/Cthulhu mythos
(in which I fail miserably; surely *somebody* can come up with a better one?)
does Major League Baseball/The pirate Rabbi and Thor/Star Trek to my promptsWhite Collar/Pirates of the Caribbean
and DCU/The Lone Gunmen
. (Somebody needs to write a pirates/white collar crossover actually. Desperately. Also need fic now where Frohike tangos with Barbara Gordon, but that's a given.)some flailing as regards Temeraire/Sherlock Holmes
for ellen_fremedonBritish Comedian RPF/Vorkogisan Saga
(This one got kind of out of hand after lannamichaels
tapped in. It probably helps to note that we were borrowing some of the characterization from a previous conversation regarding Aral Vorkosigan, Epic Troll
. Also: this article on how traditional Chinese stand-up has fared under communism
which I incidentally already had bookmarked, yes I did background research for this bit.) marginaliana
asked for a British Comedy RPF crossover and I'm afraid in the elaboration we focused almost entirely on the Barrayar part, but I promise if I actually wrote it there would be a bunch of scenes of David and Charlie and Jimmy and Dara and so on meeting in hidden, poorly-lit back rooms at the university and playing at revolution.Avengers/Sesame Street
. An excuse to write fic for the Teeny Little Super Guy! Yay!Homestuck/Colbert Report
, featuring unbridgeable idealogical differences. And stabs. Mostly stabs.Homestuck/Vorkosigan Saga
. In which there are fantrolls.Homestuck/Ranma 1/2
, featuring brownbetty
contributing their own versions as well, which we must encourage them to write. yes.
Unfilled, still to do (list mostly for my reminder):
Avengers/Young Wizards and Vorkosigan/Avengers (I really need to watch that movie, I guess)
Something Sutcliff/Rihannsu-ish (Every time I poke at this I just come out concluding I need to re-read Rihannsu more. Tragic!)
This is actually an interesting way to find out what fandoms my commenters care about! Avengers yes (kind of obviously) but there's lots of Vorkosigan and Homestuck and Temeraire on there too, hmm.
And yes, I will still fill prompts if people leave them. Not crossovered out yet!
And as usual, all bunnies and notfic posted by me here are completely available for other people to pick up and run with, if you should chance to be so inspired.
|January 12th, 2012 10:06 pm - Joy|
Hmm. That last post wasn't really in the spirit of today being More Joy Day
, was it?
So here is some joy: lannamichaels
is talking about Ezar Vorbarra/Aral Vorkosigan arranged marriage AUs
. And I started talking about it with her in comments. And now she has written a bit of it in comments! There should be more of it. There should be epics. It is full of joy! And glitter! And conquest!
Also there is a digression about how Simon Illyan should just have sex with everybody, which is also full of joy. Come join us!
|December 18th, 2011 09:05 pm - okay posting again anyway|
You guys, you guys, you remember the Cordelia Vorkosigan Flimsy Dolls
, right? And if you followed the comments, you may have seen me and sara
discussing the politics of the Vorhartung Castle Gift Shop, and how somebody should write that story?
wrote it! As a sequel to Ship Duty
, already one of the best recent Vorkosigan fics out there, no less! And you should all go read it because it's brilliant and it's everything it should be. There are old Vor ladies! And stuffed Stegosauri! And Byerly being competent! And Ivan being traumatized by pictures of his mother in her underwear! And discussions of white collar crime and accounting! And many other wonderful things!A Charity Case
: In which Byerly gets a job, Ivan fills in for his mother, the Emperor polishes his retail skills, and the Vorhartung Castle Gift Shop ladies embezzle every mark.
Also, everybody, seriously, you should totally get in the habit of throwing all the random plot bunnies you have out in the open, because I have been doing that, and people keep writing
the darn things. It is making my given/recieved ratio on AO3 look completely out of whack, but I don't care, because they are all awesome
stories. This is fandom doing what fandom is for! (That is, providing me with a custom drip-feed of the stories I need in my life with minimal effort on my part. ...I mean, um, building new heights of creativity through collaboration and conversation and an ethic of openness of ideas. Yes. that.)
(Now somebody needs to write me the Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane AU set in the Study in Emerald
universe. In which Peter is of course a distant descendant of royalty down several lines. Go on. You know you want it now too.)
ETA: btw, terajk
is still writing heartwarming Ranma + Ryoga + Akane fic
, if you were wondering.
Current Mood:: bouncy
|October 13th, 2011 07:50 pm - Cordelia Vorkosigan Paper Dolls|
In case I need to say it, the authorial viewpoint for these pages is meant to be a take-off of the one in the First Ladies book and/or in the voice of someone writing the book for a conventional Barrayaran audience, and is not, in most cases, congruent with my own. :p1 The other dolls in the book are Empress Magda Vorrutyer Vorbarra (first wife of Emperor Dorca), Imperial Consort Lyuda Vorlightly Vorbarra (second wife of Emperor Dorca), Princess Judy M'calister Vorbarra (Wife of Prince Xav), Empress Xenia Vorbarra Vorbarra (Wife of Emperor Ezar), Princess Kareen Vortala Vorbarra (Wife of Prince Heir Serg), Lady Alys Vorbohn Vorpatril (wife of Imperial Cousin Padma Vorpatril), Cordelia (Cordelia), Countess Ekaterin Vorvayne Vorsoisson Vorkosigan (Wife of Lord Auditor Count Miles Vorkosigan), Empress Laisa Toscane Vorbarra (Wife of Emperor Gregor), and Lord Clement Byerly Vorrutyer (Son of Count Dono Vorrutyer & Companion of the Prince Heir.) I will probably never get around to drawing any of them.
Edited to add, 12/11: A Charity Case
tells the story of the Vorhartung Castle Gift Shop, should anyone wish to know more.
|January 13th, 2011 04:33 pm - Nine things make a post?|
Between getting things done in RL while listening to Dresden Files, and finally making those two recs posts, I am in that place where I've done too many of the things that had been sitting for ages on the top of on my procrastination list, and now I am at the loose ends of maybe having to do the really
important stuff. So, instead, here is a very scattered post of things-I-have-not-been-posting-about in the form of a list:
1. I still need to write more of fenellaevangela
's yuletide fic. Because she deserves better than she got. ): I know exactly what to write, I even bought myself the offline version of write-or-die with Christmas money, I just need to make myself sit and *do* it.
2. I also need to post at least another couple of pages of How The Master Stole Christmas, but I appear to have lost my copy of the original in the post-holiday cleaning, so I get to defer that until I find it again. :P
Instead, I drew an illustration for philomytha
's Vorkosigan fic The Earring
, featuring Lord Regent Aral Vorkosigan going slightly native on his first visit to Beta Colony. (Going slightly native in this case = wearing nothing but sandals, a tiny clingy sarong, earrings and body glitter.)( image under cut )
Want Dresden Files/Vorkosigan crossover fic now
3. Way back before the holiday, I posted my second entry in the Ace Manifestos Project on asexual_fandom
: Charlie Weasley, the closest we will get to canon
, and I don't think I ever linked it here, so here it is.
The ace manifestos project is still chugging along! And still taking sign-ups; we just had people claim John Sheppard and Castiel (finally!) but there's plenty more to go. I am debating what I want to claim for a third one, but all my first ideas would be hard
, and I want to keep doing something I can just chuck out a few paragraphs of meta and some links on. The rest of you should sign up though, if you haven't yet!
4. I've seen that audio/dialect voice meme going around, so I thought I'd link to this: North American Dialects Survey
, a study being currently run out of Yale that's looking for voice samples from people all over North America. It's just about as simple as the meme version, only For Science! And then
you can do the meme one and share with your reading list. :P
5. I'm still behind on catching up with various fandoms I'm in that have current canon (the BBC RPS ones in particular. Ten o'clock live starts next week!!) I just started catching back up with lolitics, and OMG, the role-players have been on a roll since Christmas!( Cut for British Politics RPF stuff )
Also I want a Dresden Files crossover where Mandelson, Bercow, Cable, and BONE are all on the White Council together
6. RE: posting to the lolitics comm on lj: apparently I have been over on DW long enough that I have officially forgotten how to do lj tags. I had to actually look up how to do an lj user tag after failing on my first four tries.
7. CENTRAL MARYLAND IS GETTING CHEATED OUT OF SNOW. Like, three times so far this year, they've predicted a major storm in our area, and then gone "well, actually, it looks like the heavy stuff will be to the north, south, east, and west of us." !!! Not fair.
...on the upside, though, they are starting to talk about the Chesapeake Bay freezing over
, and if that happens, I am okay with lack of snow.
(I know, I realize that severe winter weather can be very difficult and even disastrous for a lot of people - especially a major bay freeze, which can paralyze the ports, lead to shortages on the islands and Delmarva, and damage infrastructure - but it's also part of the climate and the culture here, and something we need. The Bay regularly froze over every 10-50 years, and it's something of a needed 'reset' button for the ecology. And, given climate change, I never expected it to happen in my lifetime - this may be the last time this interglacial that it does.)
8. Still listening to Dresden Files! Still enjoying in that trashy genre fiction sort of way! (The audiobooks also let me drag it out, since there is no more pairing!fic left for me to read, sigh.) Apparently, listening to Dresden Files right before sleep makes me have dreams about Pennsic War, and no, idk either, but it's consistent so far.
(Although, the night I put up stellar_dust
's recs post, instead of Dresden Files I read two new Merlin AUs I'd missed before. One of them was about Medieval LARPing, which you'd think would trigger SCA dreams if anything did, huh? But instead I dreamed about the one with Sedoretu instead
, which is okay, because I will take dreams about Le Guin poly marriages anytime.)
9. ( Here are some longer posts that I want to do soon, if I ever manage to find my round tuit. )
...okay, I suppose now I need to go work some more on the actual scary stuff, mutter.
|January 11th, 2011 09:12 pm - Longfic recs for Stellar_dust (and anybody else who wants them)|
So one of the things on my sister's Christmas list was "good longfic recs, I don't care about the fandom" (although I'm not sure where she'll have the time, since she's supposed to be WRITING A THESIS. About VIKINGS.)
But anyway. Like a berk I am only writing it now. But here it is! If you want me to make a .zip I suppose I can, but most of these are already available as e-book downloads.
(Note that these are all well-known, mostly oldish stories, so if you are in the fandoms you probably know them already? But this is for people who just want longfic regardless of fandom.)
WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A KNOWN WEAKNESS FOR LONGFIC, AND YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN READ FIC SOMETIME IN THE NEXT WEEK, DO NOT CLICK THE CUTS.( Vorkosigan Saga )( Next, BBC Merlin AUs )
Okay. There's the entire Vorkosigan series + 25 more long fics/series. When you have finished those? Go read all the fic in the Sherlock Holmes recs post I will be writing for lindentreeisle
as soon as this one goes up. Then, go read everything Astolat has ever written
. When you've done that, get back to me, and I'll do two more fandoms for you. ^_^
|December 6th, 2010 04:37 pm - Things I Have Done|
(Finally) posted my Ace Manifesto last week: Fox Mulder, Ace
(Note to self: you have run into this before, you should remember it by now, if you post an intro post to a very old, very quiet fandom, and mention that it is old and quiet, you *will* get one of the two-dozen still active people showing up in your comments being deeply offended that you didn't mention them specifically.)
And vaguely connected to that, here are two fic recs: zortified
has written asexual!Ivan Vorkosigan: Uneasy Lies The Head
. I'm not sure how he's done it - that seems even *less* likely than ace!Jack Harkness - but it makes me happy that it has been done, and well. :D
And to prove that vanity googling sometimes works, I just stumbled on a fic that was written based on some old meta of mine, by aria
: All That Remains
. It is Highlander, Methos genfic, and it is everything I want
in Highlander fic. Sometimes I feel like, even if I never write anything again, the amount of awesome fic that's been written based on ideas I just threw out justifies my existence on its own. :D
I have been writing a bit, though. And I've just been reminded that earlier this year, I made a commitment on 12in2010
to finish at least 12 stories over 2000 words this year. I think I might actually manage 12 over 1000 words this year, which is shocking enough on its own! But a lot of it's been anon, so it is difficult to keep track of. Here (mostly for myself) is my fic accounting for the year:( 2010 fic round-up )
The other thing I pledged to do this year was read and review at least 100 books. I think I've managed the 'read' part, given a broad enough definition of the word 'book.' Review... well, I still have almost a month to finish the reviews! (I post my book reviews on LT
, where they get just enough upvotes to assure me I'm not posting into a vacuum. Would anybody be interested in them being crossposted here? I've though about it, but never gotten motivated.)
Also I am apparently posting a thing, in parts, to doctor_and_master
for their December fanfest, which is apparently How the Master Stole Christmas
, complete with anapests and illustrations. <_< The next bit should go up late tonight, hopefully, now that I've found my stylus (again.)
|November 24th, 2010 04:45 pm - Five things make a post?|
1. I am going through today and subscribing back to a bunch of people who've been subscribed to me for a while; I've been letting my reading list sit, partly because I'm lazy, partly because my reading list is already very close to Dunbar's number*, and partly because quite a few of the people who subscribed to me recently are folks who I've gotten used to thinking of as way out of my league, too smart and too popular for me. But I have got to the point again where I am spending time reloading my list saying "why are there no new posts?" (I realize the answer is 'holiday weekend already' but I am ignoring that.) So. Um. Hi?
*I have issues with Dunbar's number as a hard limit, but for a single network, it does seem to make sense. And to be about where I settle naturally when it comes to active posters on a reading list.
2. Three fics which I recently found which I must share! And one of them isn't even my fault in any way!
- Sherlock Holmes, Petticoat Detective by verity, which I linked in my yuletide letter, but deserves to be seen above a cut. Remember how back when BBC Sherlock was first gaining steam, I posted about how my issue with a modern!Holmes AU is that without Victorian!Holmes, modern culture would be very, very different?
Apparently while I was off ignoring the fandom for my own sanity, some of them decided that the answer to that problem was that, instead of Holmes being the trope maker and archetype of the genius detective, in that universe, Madelyn Mack was. THIS IS BRILLIANT AND MAKES MY HEART SING.
And verity has actually writ fic about it! Linked above is just a short ficlet, but what she manages to cram into the ficlet about what this means for Holmes - that the archetype he's built his self-image onto is one that pop culture thinks is a girl's - is amazing and I am in love with it. And verity tells me that more is coming, yay!
- The Lambda Quadrant by peapods24. I repeat my comment to the author: OMG Bill of Rights fic! With Rachel/Ana! Luring Keith into a gay bar of shiny! !!!! This is sheer beauty! ...and I love particularly (well, after Keith getting pinched by the bouncer. And Anderson's drooping anntenae.) the commentary you've worked in here on what being gay means on this Earth. I think it's a bit fluffier than I would have written it, but it's definitely the way things *should* be on TOS!Eearth. Proving that Earth understands IDIC better than Surak does, one glittery gay bar at a time. :D
- The World That You Need by dira. This is a Vorkosigan-verse series, up to about 50,000 words total, set during the first half of Vor Game, about how Cordelia Vorkosigan talked her husband into seducing his (male) secretary, because his happiness delights her. It is the best exploration of what it means to be homosexual on Barrayar that has ever been written; it is one of the best stories about poly relationships that I have seen in fandom, period; it is just a really good story about Cordelia and Aral and their marriage, and about Jole, the minor canon character that Dira has given amazing depths to; and it is just full of joy and love, even as it delves into some really dark and painful things on the way to happy-ever-after. This fic is now canon to me, but I really recommend it even to people who aren't Bujold fans, if you like reading fic that addresses LGBT themes deeply - it's just that good, and I want it to go on forever. I have read it about six times since it was posted.
3. The other day I went to The Star Toys Museum
and donated five boxes of Star Wars crap to them, ( in exchange for a tour )
4. I finally finished listening to the audiobook of A Wizard Of Mars, after being unable to acquire a copy of the written book without using money. I was... kind of disappointed in it? Maybe it's partly because it was on audiobook, which meant that when I came to the bits I disliked, I had to just slog through, instead of skimming or skipping, so they seemed even longer. But the reason it took so long was that there was a long section in the middle where Nita and Kit aren't telling each other, or their supervisors, things that they really should, by their established character from previous books, be telling them. It is one of those annoying "if they talked to each other there would be no narrative tension, so they are just going to keep secrets for no reason other than angst" things. DD seemed to expect people to buy it just because Nita and Kit and proper teenagers now, and hormones do strange things? Maybe it's just that I was never a proper teenager, maybe it was hitting my embarrassment squick a bit, but I didn't buy it at all, even though ( spoiler cut )
5. Last night, seeking to prove that there really *wasn't* anything good on any of her hundreds of FIOS channels (she was wrong from the outset, 'cause there was a Top Gear rerun on BBCA, but still), Mom put on an episode of the old live-action Hulk TV series. It was - bizarrely - not terrible. It was actually really fun, in that seventies-TV way. And I am thinking of submitting Dr. David Banner to the crushes of shame on hot_daily
, because wow, if there was ever a character designed to appeal to little fangirl hearts! And I love love love the oldschool special effects, too.
Where is the fic for this?
|November 18th, 2010 04:15 pm - Now I am going to actually do something nano-like, I swear.|
I am so used to working right up against deadlines (whether self-imposed or not) that it feels really, really weird to finish something, and then not post it immediately. I keep finishing a part, and then going a reloading e-mail automatically for feedback even though I haven't posted anything, fail.
Why yes, I have reached that point in November when I am desperately accomplishing things in order to avoid working on my NaNo! That's basically the two things I love most about NaNo: the month before, when I can give myself permission to do lots of research and pre-writing without feeling like I should be just sitting and writing the damn thing, and the tail end of the month, when the sense of impending doom gives me that feeling of last-ditch freedom and my internal editor comes off on everything else.
(Not my yuletide letter, though. In my defense, I had it 75% written and then lost it all in a browser crash - oh, DW autosave, why are you so useless? - so I'm taking a few days to mourn.)
Also in the shadow of impending doom, I have signed up for TGS Big Bang. Yes, I should have known better, but I got permission to sign up to finish the Doctor Who Crossover of Doomy Doom, which I might actually do! Or at least manage to add 10,000 words to it in two months. (Although, having added up that I already have over 8,000 in one-and-a-half chapters of a projected at least eight, I may decide to just write the prequel - preliminary title "Jez vs. Atmos" - instead.
Here are some lists of other things I want to be writing instead of NaNo or important grownup stuff or my overdue Ace Manifesto:
People who should be paired with Jamie MacCrimmon in the period between "War Games" and Season 6b:
1. Duncan Macleod
2. Lord John Grey (Seriously, why has nobody written this one yet?)
4. ??? (If you can find me two more I might even manage a Five Things ^_^)
Vorkosigan Universe Fanfic that Should Be Written:
1. The AU where Cordelia let them try the fast-penta in Shards of Honor, and the whole Barrayaran mess ended up in Mehta and Taylor's laps instead.
2. The story where Aral's first wife's death was faked by Xav's wife, who smuggled her off to Beta, where she became an LPST and ended up mentoring Kareen. (Also, the story where Xav's wife retired to Beta and wound up best friends with Cordelia's mother, much to everybody's horror. Possibly writeable as a Cryoburn follow-up.)
3. The story about how one of those other uterine replicators post-Shards of Honor contained the Emperor's half-brother, and how the Emperor found out, and what happened afterward.
4. The story about the time Miles and Mark and Ivan went to Cetaganda for a diplomatic meeting and "met" (by way of finding him trying to sneak into the Barrayaran embassy) the youngest Cetagandan Prince, who looks a lot like Miles - and his Ba servitor, who looks even more like Miles - and what happened after Mark told Cordelia.
5. The story about what happened the first Emperor's Birthday after Twitter came to Barrayar, and how they talked Miles out of firebombing the headquarters of @eyespycoc (without telling him that it was Mark's idea in the first place.)
|March 9th, 2010 08:45 pm - Where did I put my roller skates?|
Alternating between reading Bujold fic and Winter Olympics RPS has me wanting a story about elite-level Zero-Gravity Athletics competition. The Extra-Atmospheric Olympic Committees require that ZG athletes spend at least thirty percent of their time in more than .5g, which is of course the source of much shenanigans, angst and H/C.
Also, I think one of the main characters of the story started their career as an Abolympic competitor (that's a sort of "special" competition limited to people who use no or only minor biomodifications, chemical enhancements or technological augmentation; the real competitors think of it as kind of the cute little sibling, but it has a rabid following of its own, 'rabid' often being the operative term). As a result of a major practice injury last season, said character was disqualified from the Abolympics, and made the unusual choice of moving to standard competition rather than retiring, and is having a lot of trouble fitting in. Being kind of an asshole isn't helping. The other main character is one of the only elite-level XA athletes to have grown up on an actual planet and gets a lot of crap about it (incluing constant suspicion that XA judges are biased against planetaries), but refuses to be anything but sparkly and peppy and is the favorite of nearly all the planetary fans who follow XA sport. Character also actually enjoys having to spend time in grav (despite having the same ostopenia and asthenia adaptation difficulties that are common to ZG athletes), and whenever there's a competition near a settled planet is constantly trying to get fellow athletes to go snowboarding and ice-skating.
...that would actually slot right in to my existing space opera universe. And the established FTL physics I have there would add the extra layer that anyone competing in intersystem leagues would have chosen to accept the temporal isolation that comes with regular relativistic accelaration... The Galactic Olympics are held every four years standardized time, but most of the athletes on the competition circuit would've only aged about two-three years in that time - and another regulation is that they are *required* to have at least 18 months subjective time between Olympic entries.
>_< I am going to spend the next few days writing this story in my head, I can tell. LIKE I NEEDED ANOTHER STORY TO WRITE. Somebody else offer to pick up the bunny, please, so I don't have to??
|October 6th, 2008 11:55 pm - Specially meme-scented entry!|
So I have been trying not to get to emotionally involved with the politics (though I still want to do that "Sarah Palin or TGP
: Who Is More Qualified?" point-by-point comparison), but I have been following fivethirtyeight.com pretty closely. And OMG, if Obama takes the South
? That will be not only win, it'll be the most important thing to happen in American politics in my *lifetime*.
Anyway.1. Comment on this post.
2. I will give you a letter.
3. Think of 5 fictional characters and post their names and your comments on these characters in your blog.stellar_dust
gave me "D".
...I had a list of twenty-five characters to pick from, and that was before I checked my notes. So, um, have the short list as meme x 3.
And hey, while I'm at it, why not give me two numbers between 1 and 15 and I'll write you a comment-fic where those two characters meet. :D (Random or calculated, I don't even care.)( Five Large Fandoms )( Five Small Fandoms )( Five Nonexistent Fandoms )
...Yeah, I should probably stop there. Even if it means I have to leave out David Starr, and Mike Doonesbury, and Dick and Dorothea (the D's), and Diana Fowley, and Dick Grayson**, and Dickon Sowerby**, and Daystar, and Death**, and Doli the Dwarf, and ....
(** marks characters I have either written in fic or tried to write.)
|August 7th, 2008 10:23 pm|
So, with lack of laptop, and possibly more relevantly, lack of any way to play pirate online video, I have been reading more actual printed books this week. And catching up on my LT reviews, which I was several months behind on
I have been learning a lot!
For example: When one is pondering writing Miles Vorkosigan kidfic, do *not* read Gordon Korman novels.
Also, when one is pondering writing S4 Dr. Who crackfic, do not do NOT read books of old Charles Addams cartoons....
|June 16th, 2008 12:21 am|
So rather than going home, packing some, working up a real con report and doing the follow-up stuff I promised, I went to stellar_dust
's apartment and she mixed us both Sonic Screwdrivers and we watched DW 4x10 and Torchwood (Meat) while I taught myself how to tie cherry stems in knots with my tongue. (It seems like a useful skill.)
DW was generally good, and we spent about ten minutes afterward being annoying-sisters to each other in one of the traditional ways, but it was *creepy* this time (seriously, I bet all the mothers in Great Britain are cursing RTD by now) but OMG, Rusty, ( spoiler )Meat
was awesome, my first actual Torchwood ep after lurking the fandom for two years, and Rhys rocks, and I agree with sister (and Jack!!) that Rhys and Jack have mad, mad UST and need to do something about it STAT, preferably with Gwen in the middle and Ianto and Owen off having sex somewhere else, because OMG.
I remember the reaction when the episode first aired - the old-school macros, the anti-gwen panic - but am I the *only* Torchwood fan who's read enough bad Highlander fic to immediately realize why immortal Jack was so determined to give that story a happy ending? God, talk about nightmares, and I hope it never comes out that it actually *did* happen to him (or, bad thought but knowing Jack, he *volunteered* for it.)
So anyway sister also downloaded a bunch of John Barrowman singing showtunes which I need to steal off her hard drive and then bed. But first, for my own memory, list of fics I was told I needed to write while at the con:( Read more... )